Data Science is a growing field that blends computer science, statistics, and information systems with domain knowledge to extract knowledge from data to solve real problems. As such, the minor provides foundational skills in statistical analysis, programming, and business. Students gain analytic knowledge that will augment their skills in their chosen major. People with data science skills are in high demand and the demand promises to continue.
Truly interdisciplinary, the program consists of six courses providing students with an introduction to the analytical, and computational skills useful within the domain of data science.
Data Science Minor Courses
Students must complete six (6) courses, up to three of which may be cross-counted between the data science minor and another major or minor.
- ST 210 - Introduction to Statistics or ST 265 – Biostatistics or EC 220 - Business Statistics
- CS 151 - Computer Science
- DS 303 - Discovering Information in Data or IS 251 - Information Systems
- ST 310 - Statistical Computing
- IS 358 - Business Intelligence and Data Mining
Choose one course from the following:
- CS 485 - Database Management Systems
- IS 353 - Data Management and Database Systems
- ST 465 - Experimental Research Methods
- ST 472 - Applied Multivariate Analysis
- A course from the electives listed for the Data Science major.