Gerard Manley Hopkins Professor
Lecturer in Classics
Humanities Center 242L
Loyola University Maryland
4501 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21210
- B.A., Fordham University
- Ph.D., University of Rochester
- EN 300 English Literary History before 1800
- EN 310 Shakespeare I
- EN 311 Shakespeare II
- EN 328 Renaissance Catholic Literature
- Courses in Latin and Greek (Classics) at all levels
- George Chapman, Homer's Iliad (2017). Robert Miola's edition of Chapman's Iliad (2017) received a nomination from Brian Vickers for Book of the Year, London Times Literary Supplement, November 29, 2019.
- Early Modern Catholicism: An Anthology of Primary Sources (2007).
- Shakespeare's Reading (2000).
- Shakespeare and Classical Comedy: The Influence of Plautus and Terence (1994).
- A Comedy of Errors: Critical Essays (1994).
- Shakespeare and Classical Tragedy (1992).
Editor of Shakespeare:
- Hamlet (Norton, 2nd edition, 2019).
- Macbeth (The Norton Shakespeare, 3rd edition, 2015).
- Hamlet (Norton Critical Edition, 2011).
- The Comedy of Errors (Barnes and Noble, 2010).
- Measure for Measure (edited with students for Loyola College Apprentice House Press, 2008).
- Much Ado About Nothing (Barnes and Noble, 2007).
- Macbeth (Norton Critical Edition, 2004, 2013).
Editor of Ben Jonson:
- Robert Miola, “Ben Jonson's Reception of Lucian,” BJJ 26.2 (November 2019). Dr. Miola's article "Ben Jonson's Reception of Lucian" won the 2019 Beverly Rogers Literary Award from the Ben Jonson Journal.
- The Case Is Altered (Cambridge edition of The Works of Ben Jonson, 2012).
- Every Man in His Humour, quarto version (Revels Series, Manchester University Press, 2000).
Invited Lectures and Papers:
- “Text, Paratext, Context: The Scribal and Print Publications of Tichborne’s Lament,” Huntington Library, 2019.
- “Remembering Greece in Shakespeare’s Rome,” Rome, 2016, Washington, DC 2019.
- “Lost and Found in Translation: Early Modern Receptions of Oedipus at Colonus,” Verona, 2018, Toronto 2019.
- “Orestes and the Light of Day.” The Tyrant’s Fear . La Paura del Tiranno, Boston, 2016, Verona, 2016.
- “Shakespeare and Classical Comedy: The Dark Legacy,” Plenary address, University of Campinas, Brazil, 2015.