The Center for Community, Service, and Justice (CCSJ) and York Road Initiative (YRI) engage students, staff and faculty each year, and CCSJ+YRI Student Interns make it possible by connecting Loyola’s campus to the Baltimore community through relationship-building, education and advocacy.
CCSJ Student Interns are the leaders of community engagement opportunities on campus and therefore, must possess strong interpersonal skills including communication, organization, collaboration and professionalism. Interns must show good judgment and respect the backgrounds, experiences and perspectives of a diverse group of people.
All candidates for the CCSJ+YRI student internship must:
- Be a rising sophomore, junior or senior. Any rising sophomores or juniors who are expecting to study abroad in the 2023-24 academic year are ineligible to apply to be an intern until the Spring 2024 semester.
- Have a minimum 2.5 grade point average (GPA) both cumulative and the semester prior to applying.
- Complete the application and interview process by the stated deadlines.
- Be in good conduct standing with the university.
Preferred candidates for the CCSJ+YRI internship position will:
- Have participated in at least one community engagement or justice-based advocacy experience since enrolling at Loyola University Maryland. These experiences do not have to be directly affiliated with CCSJ or the York Road Initiative; however, experiences that take place in the local York Road and greater Baltimore region will be preferred.
- Have a personal interest in issues related to social justice.
- Be able to articulate connections between community engagement experiences and related social justice issues.
All selected applicants who choose to accept the position must agree to:
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA throughout the 2023-24 academic year.
- Perform the duties and responsibilities outlined in their specific job description.
- Fully participate in the life and work of the Center for Community, Service + Justice and York Road Initiative, as delineated by the department.
- Not hold any other paid/unpaid positions at Loyola University Maryland that will exceed 7 or 10 work hours per week (dependent on internship position) or that will conflict with mandatory training in August 2023 (Time frame TBD). Such positions include but are not limited to: Resident Assistant (RA), Evergreen, Campus Ministry Intern, Student Teaching, and Specific Roles in the Student Government Association (SGA) Executive Board.
- Attend and fully participate meetings and formation programs for all CCSJ+YRI student employees, including but not limited to: a multi-day Pre-Fall semester student intern training in August 2023, a one-day training in January 2024, regular one-on-one meetings and bi-weekly team meetings with a CCSJ+YRI staff member, engagement in regular formation around the topic of racial justice, and attend monthly student employee meetings.
- Abide by the Loyola University Maryland Student Code of Conduct, as well as those of federal and local jurisdictions.
- Represent the values and mission of Loyola on campus and off campus by serving as a positive role model, being held to the highest ethical and behavioral standards, and making a positive impact in the Loyola community and beyond.
In addition to the general expectations for all CCSJ+YRI Student Interns, interns will be expected to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined in their specific job description. Intern position descriptions are subject to change depending on several factors, including but not limited to the state of partnerships in the 2023-24 academic year.
As part of the application and interview process for the internship, all applicants will have an opportunity to express their interest and fit for their preferred position(s). The Center for Community, Service, and Justice (CCSJ) and the York Road Initiative (YRI) does not guarantee that applicants will be offered their preferred choice(s) for internship positions due to the competitive nature of the application process - even if they are accepted to the 2023-2024 student intern team.
Access intern position descriptions for the 2023-24 academic year