Students can perfect their knowledge of the following languages and their associated cultures through minor programs:
There is a requirement of six courses for the Chinese minor as follows:
Learn about the Chinese minor
- Two 200- or 300-level Chinese courses
- Two 300-level Chinese courses
- One 200 Chinese course, one 300 Chinese course, or one ML course
- One China-related ML 300-level course
There is a requirement of six courses beyond the core for French minors as follows:
- Two 200-level courses
- Four 300-level courses
Learn about the French minor
There is a requirement of six courses beyond the core requirement to earn a Spanish minor which can then be combined with their major area of study in any of the five areas of the University: Business, Science, Social Science, Education, or the Humanities.
Learn about the Spanish minor
Comparative Cultures and Literary Studies Minor
The CCLS Minor has a strong foreign language component and traditionally appeals to students who love language and culture and want to be active and marketable in the world. Participating departments are Classics, English, Fine Arts, History, Modern Languages and Literatures, Philosophy, Political Science, and Theology. The minor requirement is six courses as follows:
- ML307 Topics in Comparative Cultures and Literary Studies or ML308 Comparative Literature Studies,
- Two AB, CI, FR, GR, IT, PO, or SN 200-level language courses,
- Two CI, FR, GK, GR, IT, LT, ML, or SN 300-level courses,
- One AH, CL, EN, HS, PL, and TH course from participating disciplines.
Special features include participating in a study abroad program, an interdisciplinary approach to learning, access to our state-of-the-art Language Learning Center, and language clubs, field trips, and lecture series.
Learn about the Comparative Cultures and Literary Studies minor
The following minors are affiliated with the department of Modern Languages and Literatures: