October 12th-14th, 2018
February 22nd-24th, 2019
Join us on the Ignite Retreat to learn how the Ignatian story, at the heart of Loyola’s mission, can connect meaningfully to your life and unique spiritual journey. Open to students of all faith traditions and spiritualities, the weekend will offer opportunities for relationship building, tools for reflection and discernment, and an introduction to themes of Ignatian Spirituality: Finding God in all things, silence, discernment, gratitude and persons for & with others. Through personal and group reflective experiences, this retreat creates a space for exploring who you are in relationship with self, God and others.
Students from all class years are invited to attend the Ignite Retreat in either the fall (October 2018) or spring semester (February 2019). Like most retreats at Loyola, the Ignite Retreat will be held at our beautiful Loyola University Maryland Retreat Center on 20 serene acres in the mountains of Western Maryland.
Who would be interested?
- I've never been on a retreat.
- Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Spiritual But Not Religious, Searching...basically you as you are.
- JesuWHAT? Who is this Ignatius guy and what is all this talk about Jesuits and Spirituality?
- I know some Ignatian themes but don't really know how they connect to my experience.
- I'm new to the Loyola community: first years or transfer students
- I've been at Loyola for 3 years and want to connect in a new way
This retreat is offered to students at an introductory price of $35, down from the standard retreat fee of $75.
"The Ignite Retreat gave me a chance to slow down and reflect upon my life and how Ignatian Spirituality plays a part in it. I was able to further my understanding of discernment, take time for personal reflection, and start new friendships that are still continuing to grow."
— Student Participant 2016
If you are interested in learning more or signing up, please contact Megan Linz Dickinson, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply to be a leader for the Ignite Retreat!
Apply by Monday, April 9.
The Ignite Application Form is a joint application with the FIRST Pre-Fall Program through Campus Ministry. You can choose to be considered for one or both programs through the process.
Retreat members are trained in themes of Ignatian Spirituality and prepare short reflections on those themes in their own lives in advance of retreat. Past participation on the retreat is preferred, but not required. Retreat team members should be open to learning and comfortable sharing about your experiences with other students. There is no cost of attending the retreat for team members.
Role & Responsibilities of Team Members
- Attend weekly one-hour meetings (time and day TBD) in the two months before the retreat*
- Facilitate small groups
- Share/present sessions on the themes of Ignatian Spirituality to the large group
- Lead inclusive prayers
- Facilitate the learning outcomes for participants
- Set the tone for an inclusive and welcoming community
- Share honestly and respectfully and listen actively with one another
- Complete your agreed-upon tasks on time
- Welcome and accept feedback from teammates
- Use reflective practices in your own preparation
*Spring team members who are studying abroad in the fall may be considered only if they are willing and able to skype/facetime in for meetings that happen in the fall semester and to complete required preparation (drafting talks, etc.) over the holiday break before the spring semester begins.