In case of utility failure immediately call Facilities at 410-617-2200. If after hours, call Public Safety at 410-617-5010. Be prepared to give:
- Building name
- Room number of Floor
- Nature of problem
- Contact information
In case of a major, campus-wide power outage:
- Remain calm
- Follow directions from Facilities or Campus Police for immediate action.
- If evacuation of a building is required, seek out persons with special needs and provide assistance.
- Laboratory personnel should secure all experiments, unplug electrical equipment (including computers) and shut off research gases prior to evacuating. All chemicals should be stored in their original locations. Fully CLOSE fume hoods. If this is not possible or natural ventilation is inadequate, evacuate the laboratory until the power is restored.
- Do not use candles, lighters or other types of open flames for illumination purposes.
- Unplug all electrical equipment (including computers) and turn off the light switches
- Do not unplug your telephone!
- Check equipment after power is restored.
Keep a flashlight and batteries in key locations throughout your work or living areas.
If people are trapped in an elevator:
- Tell passengers to stay calm and that you are getting help.
- Call Campus Police at 410-617-5911 and provide information.
- Stay near the passengers until police or other assistance arrives provided it is safe to stay in the building.
- Do not try to pry open the elevator or extract people from a trapped elevator car.
If you discover leaking water or know the source of a water leak, contact Facilities Operations. Do not walk through standing water due to the potential for electrocution hazards.
Natural Gas Leak
If you smell the odor of gas, or if you discover a gas leak, leave the area immediately and contact Campus Police at 5911 from campus phones, or 410-617-5911 from off- campus phones.