All members of the campus community are encouraged to build a personal emergency kit. Basic supplies should include:
- Water, 1 gallon per person per day for at least three days
- Food, at least a three day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter in place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger.
Each student should provide his or her own flashlight to be used during a power failure. Do not use candles or other open flame type lighting under any circumstances, these items are prohibited on campus.
When emergency shelter is provided, students should bring the following items to their temporary assigned living area:
- Bedding and pillow
- One small bag with clothing, etc.
- Needed medications, glasses, etc
- Non-perishable food items
- Small toiletry bag
For additional information, please view FEMA’s website at www.ready.gov/build-a-kit