NOTE: Students must attend at least one Information Session in order to apply.
Minimum Requirements for Acceptance
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 are eligible to study abroad for the semester or year. Please note that some programs require a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Students that are interested in study abroad for the semester or year are encouraged to apply by December 5, 2018 (second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break), even if they do not meet the 2.75 GPA minimum so they can ask to be reconsidered for a spring program.
- Students must be able to find courses that will fit their Loyola program and allow a full time course load while abroad.
- Students that have a history of serious disciplinary problems or that are on disciplinary probation with Loyola are not eligible for study abroad.
- Students must have a declared major to apply to study abroad.
Two Step Process to Apply
Step 1: All students must attend at least one information session during the fall of their sophomore year.
Step 2: Click the "Apply to this program" button on the page of your first choice program. Complete the online application and submit it. The deadline to apply to study abroad is December 5, 2018!
Please note: We must receive a complete application by the December 5th deadline.
Any applications received after December 5th will not be considered.
To help students prepare for the Study Abroad Application process, below is the essay question that will accompany the online portion of the application:
In a 2010 speech, Rev. Adolfo Nicolás, S.J., Superior General of the Society of Jesus, said: “In response to the globalization of superficiality, I suggest that we need to study the emerging cultural world of our students more deeply and find creative ways to of promoting depth of thought, and imagination, a depth that is transformative of the person.” In a brief essay (between 1500 and 2000 words) explain:
1) What the words “globalization of superficiality” could mean
2) How you think your experience abroad could help you study your own world more deeply
3) How you think your experience abroad could help you promote “depth of thought, and imagination, a depth that is transformative of the person”.
Students must attend an Information Session before the deadline.
Students must apply by 11:59 p.m. on December 5th of their sophomore year in order to study abroad in the spring or fall of their junior year.
**IMPORTANT: once you submit your application with your study abroad choices, you will NOT be able to change them!
Please contact the Office of International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org to get current application deadlines for summer programs and study tours.
Please refer to our Application FAQ page if you have questions about the application process.