NOTE: Students must attend a STUDY ABROAD 101 Information Session in order to apply.
Minimum Requirements for Acceptance
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 are eligible to study abroad for the semester or year. Please note that some programs require a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Students that are interested in study abroad for the semester or year are encouraged to apply by the second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break even if they do not meet the 2.75 GPA minimum so they can ask to be reconsidered for a spring program.
- Students must be able to find courses that will fit their Loyola program and allow a full time course load while abroad (15 to 30 credits).
- Students that have a history of serious disciplinary problems or that are on disciplinary probation with Loyola are not eligible for study abroad.
- Students must have a declared major to apply to study abroad.
- Students must have junior standing while abroad. Students can appeal if they need to study abroad in the spring of their sophomore year.
Two Step Process to Apply
Step 1: All students must attend one Study Abroad 101 during the fall of their sophomore year. Students are encouraged to attend program specific Information Sessions as well.
Step 2: Click the "Apply to this program" button on the page of your first choice program. Complete the online application and submit it. The deadline to apply to study abroad is December 11, 2019!
Please note: We must receive a complete application by the December 11th deadline.
Any applications received after December 11th, 2019 will not be considered.
To help students prepare for the Study Abroad Application process, below is the essay question that will accompany the online portion of the application:
Read the article below and answer the following questions (700-1000 words):
1) What are the main distinctions between a tourist and a pilgrim according to this author?
2) How do you think these distinctions could help you enrich your study abroad experience?
Students must attend an Information Session before the deadline.
Students must apply by 11:59 p.m on DECEMBER 11th, of their sophomore year in order to study abroad in the spring or fall of their junior year.
**IMPORTANT: once you submit your application with your study abroad choices, you will NOT be able to change them!
Please contact the Office of International Programs at email@example.com to get current application deadlines for summer programs and study tours.
Please refer to our Application FAQ page if you have questions about the application process.