Skip to main content


Can I apply to study abroad even if I don’t have a 2.750 GPA (Cumulative GPA)?

Yes, you are encouraged to apply even if you do not have a 2.750 CQPA at the time of application. We can only consider applications that we receive by 11:59 p.m. on the second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break.

Will my fall semester grades be used in my GPA evaluation?

Yes. We look at the CQPA from both semesters of freshman year along with the fall semester of sophomore year.

If I am not sure that I want to study abroad. What should I do?

We recommend that you submit an application for study abroad, even if you have not finalized your plans. Students will not be considered for study abroad if they have not applied by the deadline.

Am I guaranteed to go abroad if I have a 2.750 GPA?

Meeting the GPA for study abroad does not guarantee that a student will be admitted. You must review the program’s GPA requirements. Loyola has a minimum requirement of 2.750 to consider your application, but many of the host institutions they require a higher GPA. Also, acceptance to certain programs will depend on the number of applications that we receive. Disciplinary records of applicants and the potential courses students can take abroad will also play an important role in your potential acceptance into a program.

What happens if I can’t submit my application by 11:59 p.m. on the second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break?

Late applications will not be considered.

What if I don’t get into any of my three choices?

If we are not able to offer you acceptance into any of your top three choices, we will allow you to be reconsidered for another available program. If nothing is available, then you will not be able to study abroad. 

Does my financial aid transfer when I go abroad?

Loyola institutional financial aid can be used for all semester and year-long opportunities, except for Florence, or any other affiliation, summer program or external opportunity.

Students who benefit from the Yellow Ribbon/Post 9-11 GI Bill® should contact the office of financial aid or the records office to see if they can use that program's benefits to study abroad. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US. government Website at

What happens to my federal work-study when I go abroad? 

Federal work-study cannot be used outside of the United States. Also, students going abroad for only a single semester forfeit their work-study for the entire academic year (fall and spring). For more information contact the office of financial aid. 

Do I have to pay for housing abroad?

There are several locations where you will have to pay Loyola housing and others that you will pay housing to your host institution or have to find your own housing abroad.  Check each individual location for the housing arrangement and payment.

When will I hear back?

Our office reviews applications in early January. We usually contact students regarding their status by the third week of January. 

Can I study abroad if I have a disciplinary history?

We review each student on a case-by-case basis. Serious offenses, being on a status, or a history of disciplinary problems usually results in prohibiting a student from going abroad. 

What should I do now?

You need to attend information sessions offered by the Office of International Programs. You should also apply for a passport. Finally, do some research on the countries where you are interested in living. You should know about current events, the recent history, the people, and the culture of the country where you hope to live. 

Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates

Contact Us

Phone: 410-617-2910
Office: Humanities 132

Additional contact information


In order to apply, all students must attend a Study Abroad 101 session before the application deadline. The application deadline for all Fall, Spring, and year-long opportunities during academic year 2024-25 is December 6, 2023.

The deadline for opportunities taking place during academic year 2025-26 will be announced during the Spring 2024 semester.

Study Abroad 101