Schedule an Appointment
View the Beijing Presentation
Apply to this Program
Beijing, China’s sprawling capital, has history stretching back 3 millennia. Yet it’s known as much for modern architecture as its ancient sites such as the grand Forbidden City complex, the imperial palace during the Ming and Qing dynasties. Nearby, the massive Tiananmen Square pedestrian plaza is the site of Mao Zedong’s mausoleum and the National Museum of China, displaying a vast collection of cultural relics.
UIBE, founded in 1951, is a multidisciplinary university, ranking among the highest in the country in the disciplines of economics and finance. UIBE has over 13,000 students enrolled from China and 3,100 international students from 129 countries. With hundreds of clubs, student organizations, and sports teams, you are sure to find your niche in the campus life. The campus, itself, is beautiful and full of life with ponds, gardens, and a sports stadium. It hosts many cafeterias, convenience stores, a printing shop, and even a souvenir store. Living on UIBE, you will not only get a taste of Chinese campus life, you will become a part of it.
Criteria for Acceptance and How to Apply
- Sophomores with a cumulative GPA average of 2.8 or better should apply.
- Students who can find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation and who are neither on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems should apply.
- Students must submit an application with a course planning form by 11:59 pm on December 9th, 2020 for fall, spring, or year-long applicants.
Academics and Housing
- Available classes include: business, communications, economics, English core, ethics core, history core and history major, Chinese language, philosophy core, political science, sociology, theology core *subject to change*
- All courses except Chinese language are taught in English.
- A Chinese language course is required of all students except those who can demonstrate fluency in Chinese.
- Students are housed at the university in dorms.
- Rooms are double occupancy although requests may be made for a single room for an additional fee.
- Students may choose to live with a Chinese roommate. This option is highly suggested.
Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola University will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
Costs and Program Benefits**
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the federal work-study program. Students studying abroad for a semester or full academic year will forfeit the value of a federal work-study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition, room charge, and a reduced comprehensive fee, plus a program fee.
- All Loyola financial aid applies.
- The Beijing Center provides 2 full weeks of travel through China each semester. . Fall students partake on the Great Silk Road. while Spring students visit various locations in Yunnan Province(SW China) Details on all excursions can be found here.
- Scholarships for Study Abroad in China
Apply to this Program
*Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.