Apply to this Program
Loyola is a member of the Principia Consortium, which is housed in Berry College, Georgia. The Consortium is a growing group of 26+ American universities who assembled to offer a study abroad experience designed specifically for American Honors students. This study abroad experience happens at the University of Glasgow. Glasgow is located one hour from Edinburgh, three hours from Newcastle and five hours from London by train, in southwestern Scotland very near the North Atlantic coast. The university is located in Glasgow itself and it is served by two subway stations. Glasgow has an excellent international airport. The continent can also be reached by rail.
Criteria for Acceptance
- This program is only for honors students.
- Typically sophomores with a minimum cumulative CQPA average of 3.00.
- Students who can find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation and who are neither on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems.
- Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola, so that you are prepared for Glasgow.
- This program serves only honors students and students in nearly all majors.
- All students must take The Scottish Enlightenment seminar, which is designed for the students in the consortium.
- All other courses are regular integrated courses offered by the university (60 UK credits per semester).
Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola University will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
Length of Stay
- This is a one semester program. The fall term runs from September until late December while the spring term runs from early January until mid-June.
- Students are housed in a dormitory about a 10-15 minute walk from central campus. The dorms have five-six single bedrooms in a shared suite. A maximum of two Loyola students can live together in a suite.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the federal work-study program. Students studying abroad for a semester or full academic year will forfeit the value of a federal work-study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition, room charge, and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee each semester.
- Loyola financial aid applies.
An application along with a brief essay must be submitted to the Office of International Programs by the Wednesday after Thanksgiving break of the year prior to when a student wants to go abroad.
**Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.
Apply to this Program