Academy of American Poets Prize
The Academy of American Poets Prize is an award endowed by Loyola College and administered by the Academy of American Poets, one of the nation's oldest poetry organizations. The writing department welcomes submissions of poetry portfolios from any Loyola student.
All forms of poetry are eligible. Send us your best collection of 5-7 poems.
Guidelines for submission:
- all work must be typed and all pages numbered;
- carefully proofread your work; include clean copies only;
- submit your work anonymously (your name should not appear on or within the poems);
- include a separate cover sheet with your name, permanent address, phone number, email address, class year, and ss#;
- include a table of contents;
- collect your work in a pocket folder clearly labeled "Academy of American Poets Poetry Submission"; and
- deposit portfolios in Linda Herr's box, writing department office
** Deadline: May 1
The reading committee, comprised of members of the department, will read portfolios and contact the winners and honorable mentions by mid-May.
Feel free to contact Linda Herr (410-617-2228 or email@example.com) if you have any further questions.
Loyola's First-Year Writing Essay Contest
The writing department recognizes outstanding first-year writers through its annual essay contest held in May. Faculty nominate students from WR100 Effective Writing and its equivalents (WR100, WR101, and HN200). Faculty read and evaluate the essays, selecting students whose writing merits recognition. Winning students receive a cash prize and a certificate of merit at the Honors Convocation. Winning essays are typically included in the Forum, the department’s literary magazine.