Loyola’s writing department internship program helps students develop valuable professional skills combined with an academic experience aimed at cultivating their abilities as writers and rhetoricians. An internship will hone your interpersonal and professional communication skills, while giving you a glimpse into how writers and editors work in the business, non-profit, and academic worlds.
The writing department offers two options for writing major or writing minor internships: the 1-credit course, which is offered year-round and requires at least 50 hours of work at your site; the 3-credit course, which is offered during fall semesters and requires at least 150 hours of work at your site. To be considered for the internship program and to enroll in credited internship courses, please email PDFs of the following documents to the internship coordinator, Dr. Allen Brizee:
- Your current, formal résumé (use the Purdue OWL's resources to help you complete your document) and a general cover letter
- A brief essay (300-600 words) about your internship and how it fits into your education/career goals and how you think you can contribute to the internship organization’s needs
- 3-5 writing samples including a short abstract for each (please use the Purdue OWL's resources to help you complete your abstract)
- Your graduation audit
The deadline for submitting these documents to begin the internship process is eight weeks prior to the beginning of a semester. So for example, if you would like to complete a summer internship starting June 1 (Loyola runs two summer class sessions), you would need to submit your documents to the internship coordinator by April 1. For the fall 3-credit internship, the deadline is July 15.
You should begin planning your internship in your sophomore or junior year so that you have enough time to work it into your schedule and so that you can find an organization that fits your needs and interests.
If you have questions about the internship program, you may also schedule an appointment with Dr. Allen Brizee (410-617-2550). For more information, visit the Internship FAQs page. Please visit the Loyola Career Center Internship page for general information about internship programs at Loyola. Download the Writing Internship brochure in PDF here.
Internship Partner List
- ETC (Emerging Technology Centers) Baltimore entrepreneurial clearinghouse
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Enoch Pratt Free Library
- ABET accrediting organization for science, computers, and engineering
- Howard Peter Rawlings Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
- Students Sharing Coalition
- The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
- The Maryland Wineries Association
- American Red Cross
- Goodwill of Greater Washington
- The Baltimore Sun
- The Baltimore City Paper
- Baltimore Magazine
- Baltimore Review
- Mason Dixon ARRIVE magazine (Stone House Publishing)
- Free State Review
- Smartish Pace magazine
- Style magazine
- The Catholic Review
- D. Hodgson Associates private investigators
- Media Two Advertising
- MTA Community Workforce
- Loyola's Institute on Migration, Culture, and Ministry
- Loyola Writing Center
- Modern Master's Reading Series
Please note that this is a partial list. Please contact Dr. Allen Brizee, the Internship Coordinator, for a complete list.