Skip to main content

General Graduate FAQs

How do I apply for financial aid at Loyola University Maryland?

Aid application procedures for graduate students are available on our website. Graduate students are required to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Direct Loan Program Graduate Information Sheet. In some cases additional documentation may be required. You will be notified via your Loyola email account if additional documentation is needed to complete your application.

What is Loyola University’s FAFSA school code?

Our FAFSA school code is 002078.

What are the financial aid application deadlines?

We ask that graduate students have a completed application on file at least four weeks prior to when they want to use loan eligibility to register for classes. Maryland state residents who apply for aid through the state have a March 1 deadline for filing the FAFSA.

What if I miss the deadline?

We encourage you to still complete the application process. You may have to pay up front for your courses but will be reimbursed once the loan proceeds are credited to your student account.  

Is it necessary to file for financial aid each year?

Yes. Eligibility is based upon an annual review of the information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How will I be notified of my financial aid award?

Graduate students are notified via their Loyola University email account. The email will direct you to view your financial aid award in Student Self-Service and provide links to sign your Master Promissory note and complete Entrance Counseling if you are a new applicant.

When will I be notified of my financial aid award?

Graduate students who have a complete financial aid application on file will be notified on a rolling basis. Students who are applying for aid beginning with the summer semester are given priority over students beginning in Fall.  Fall financial aid applications are usually processed during the month of June.

Does Loyola offer grants or scholarships to graduate students?

Several academic departments have fellowship, scholarship and grant aid available. Contact the graduate program director or coordinator for more information on programs unique to each department.

What forms of aid are available to graduate students other than loans?

A limited number of graduate assistantships are offered to students enrolled on a full-time basis in the College of Arts and Sciences and School of Education. Applications for graduate assistantships may be obtained on the Loyola University web site.

The office of Residence Life & Housing has a limited number of resident assistantship positions that are open to graduate students.  Students interested in these positions should contact the director of Residence Life & Housing for an application and further information.

Loyola University Maryland offers a monthly payment plan for graduate students enrolled during the fall and spring semesters. Students need only be registered for one course during the semester(s) in which the payment plan is used. Tuition Management Services administers the graduate payment plan.

Do I need to be accepted for admission before I can apply for financial aid?

No. You may begin your application prior to being admitted however, your aid eligibility will not be determined until you have been admitted to the university.  

Can I transfer my aid from another school to Loyola University Maryland?

Loyola has specific application procedures for Federal Direct Loan assistance. If you are planning to transfer to Loyola from another institution, please make sure you add Loyola to your FAFSA results as well as following the additional application procedures outlined on the graduate financial aid website. If you are a Maryland state aid recipient, you must contact the Maryland Higher Education Commission to have the aid transferred for use at Loyola University.

Can a graduate student receive Federal Work- Study or a Federal Pell grant?

Graduate students are not eligible for Federal Pell grant assistance and Loyola University restricts Federal Work-Study assistance to Undergraduate students.

Is financial aid available to cover summer courses?

Yes. Summer begins the new academic year and you may apply for loan assistance to cover summer, fall and spring.  Typically fellowship, scholarship and grant assistance from participating academic departments is only awarded during the fall and spring.