Schedule an Appointment
View the Accra Presentation
Immerse yourself in Ghanaian life by enrolling in courses with local and international students at CIEE’s partner school, University of Ghana – ranked 7th best university in Africa for its focus on humanities, basic and applied sciences, education, and health sciences.
Legon’s well-educated citizens welcome other international students with open arms to their quiet suburban town, just northeast of the city center in the Accra Metropolis District. Students also enjoy access to a large shopping mall and several grocery stores, as well as restaurants and bars. Beyond campus, the equatorial region includes rainforests, wildlife parks, and pristine beaches to explore
Choosing When to Study in Accra
This program is offered for the fall or spring semester.
- Tuition at University of Ghana in Legon
- Academic and housing support (CIEE staff)
- Van service to the student residence
- Full university security service
- 3 on-site administrators
- Internet service at the University of Ghana
- Program trips: free and at cost
- Community service and internships
- Conferences, lectures and concerts
Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola, so that you are prepared for Accra.
- Course Equivalencies -Please contact program director for specific course questions
- This program serves nearly all majors
- A CQPA of 2.8 may apply
- You will take 15 credits of course work (1 Twi course is required)
- You will attend the University of Ghana in Legon (Accra)
- All courses are in English
- Approved courses, grades and credit will transfer to Loyola
- Semester dates are similar to our dates
Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola University will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
- The University of Ghana has its own student residences on campus. Rooms are for 2 or 3.
- There is security for all the facilities on campus.
- Cooking can be done in the housing unit. Students can also eat at nearby restaurants.
- Nearby homestays are available as well.
- CIEE carefully selects host families.
- Loyola financial aid applies and students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid except the Federal Work Study Program. Students studying abroad for either a semester or full academic year will forfeit the value of a Federal Work-Study assignment.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition, room charge and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola. There is no program fee. For Loyola students partaking in the Accra program, tuition and housing is paid to Loyola as if the student was staying on campus. The Student Administrative Services office will send the Loyola University semester bill.
Program Cost Estimates
Criteria for Applying
- Open to sophomores with a cumulative average of 2.8 or above;
- Attend an information session;
- Discuss with your major advisor the possible courses you could take abroad and see if there are any potential problems he/she sees with your plans to study in Accra;
- Discuss with your family if taking a summer course(s) is an option to help with any unexpected academic problems that could occur at Loyola or abroad;
- Students cannot be on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems.
Step 1: All students must attend one Study Abroad 101 during the fall of their sophomore year. Students are encouraged to attend program specific Information Sessions as well.
Step 2: Click the "Apply to this program" button on the page of your first choice program. Complete the online application and submit it.
Students must submit an online application AND a Course Planning form by 11:59 pm on the second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break of their sophomore year to study abroad in the fall or spring term of junior year.
A CIEE application will also be required.
Apply to this Program
*Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.