**Please be advised: The course approvals and equivalencies provided are the most current we have. Once accepted into a study abroad program, students will have an academic interview with the program coordinator and will be advised on potential course offerings.
Apply to this Program
This fall or spring program at the University of Auckland will work for most majors. Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA to be considered. The city of Auckland, located on the northern island, has 1.4 million residents. The university, ranked best in New Zealand and among the top 100 universities of the world, has 40,000 students.
Auckland, known as the City of Sails, is located on the Hauraki Gulf and is often ranked as one of the 10 best cities in the world to call home. Though New Zealand's largest city it portrays a vibe and style more similar to a city half it's size, without losing any sense of culture or diversity. Students enjoy the fact that the university is in the heart of the city, a stone throw away from bustling Queen Street and Auckland Harbor. If you enjoy outdoor activities, New Zealand is arguably one of the best places to visit in the world. The two small islands that comprise the country have everything from beaches to glaciers. All imaginable outdoor activities are at your fingertips and you will find a multitude of outdoor activities right in the Auckland region.
Choosing When to Study in Auckland
- This is a one-semester program for the fall or the spring semester
- The fall program runs from early July through mid-November. The spring program runs from mid-February through the end of June.
- Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola so that you are prepared for Auckland. Registration advising sessions are offered by our office prior to each registration day.
- Nearly all majors are served.
- Students take four 4-credit courses; they must have one free elective available to get credit for a fifth course on their degree audit.
Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola University will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
- Loyola students will live in campus housing.
- Students are divided among residences including Unilodge ,Carlaw Park and Parnell Student Village, although these properties are not guaranteed. Students may be placed in other university accommodations depending on availability.
- Students live in single bedrooms within shared apartment-style suites. Bathrooms, living rooms, and kitchens are all shared. All units are co-ed.
- There are Kiwi residents mixed with a large international population in the dorms.
- Most dorms are 10-15 minute walking distance from the main campus.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the Federal Work-Study Program.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition at Loyola, junior housing at Loyola, and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee.
- Supplemental Airline fee of 550(USD)
- Group airline tickets booked
- 2 Loyola Sponsored trips
- Part-time coordinator onsite
- New Zealand Student Health Insurance
Auckland Student Ambassadors
Please refer to the Study Abroad Ambassadors page, a group of students trained and happy to help students throughout the entire study abroad process.
Step 1: All students must attend one Study Abroad 101 during the fall of their sophomore year. Students are encouraged to attend program specific Information Sessions as well.
Step 2: Click the "Apply to this program" button on the page of your first choice program. Complete the online application and submit it. The deadline to apply to study abroad is December 11, 2019!
Please note: We must receive a complete application by the December 11th deadline.
Any applications received after December 11th, 2019 will not be considered.
- Please note a University of Auckland application will also be required by all accepted students.
Criteria for Applying
- Typically sophomores with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 may apply.
- Students who can find courses which fit their Loyola program and allow full-time participation.
- Must not be on disciplinary probation nor have a history of serious disciplinary problems.
Apply to this Program
*Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.