Apply to this Program
Berlin is a dynamic and diverse European city rich in culture and history. Its prominence as a relevant historic site, especially in regard to Germany’s more recent past, has made Berlin a vibrant metropolis where remnants of the past visibly mix with bedrocks of modernity.
Freie Universität Berlin is one of Germany's premier institutions of higher education. Founded in 1948 by students, scholars, and scientists with the support of the American allied forces and politicians in Berlin, the university nowadays boasts an enrollment rate of about32,000 students. Freie Universität Berlin is ranked nationally and internationally among the top research universities in Germany
Criteria for Applying
- The FU-BEST Program requires students to have a 3.00 cumulative GPA for consideration for admission.
- Disciplinary records will be taken into account when determining eligibility.
- Loyola University Maryland's Application deadline is December 7th, 2022
*Students must follow very specific deadlines regarding the application as courses are given on a first come first serve basis
- The Office of International Programs will ask you to apply to the FU-BEST Program in advance of the FU-BEST deadline in order to have the strongest consideration for admission and course registration.
- FU-BEST is very strict in regards to deadlines and policies.
- Each student must submit an online application (admission and housing), an official transcript, one passport-size photo, health insurance documentation, and a color copy of the inside of your valid, signed passport.
- FU-BEST will review all of the admission materials before rendering a decision.
Choosing When to Study in Berlin
- This is a one-semester program for the fall or the spring semester
- The fall program runs late August-mid-December. The spring program runs early Feb-May
- Students can study for the fall or spring semester and typically take a total of 5 courses for the semester.
- Prior knowledge of German is not required.
- All students with prior German language, must take two German language courses and take 3 additional courses called content courses at FU-BEST. Content courses are courses in the areas of history, political science, communication, philosophy and other humanities, business (limited), and social science courses.
- Introductory through advance German is offered.
- Most courses are taught in English.
- There are a limited number of core courses offered and NOT all majors are accommodated on this program. Check with the Office of International Programs for more detailed course information.
Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
- Roundtrip Airfare
- Local field trips are a part of the program and are connected to some of the FU-BEST courses. Some local field trips are required as part of the course.
- The program provides a week-long trip to one German and European location. Past locations have included Poland, Austria and the Czech Republic and vary from year to year.
- Public Transportation Pass tied with your FU-Best student ID card
- Housing sponsored by the FU-BEST Program allows students to choose either living in a home stay that includes breakfast and dinner OR living in a fully-furnished, single occupancy, studio apartment.
- If you choose the apartment option, you are required to submit credit card information for the security deposit. Apartments are located about 45-60 minutes via public transit to the program site in Lankwitz.
- Homestay option may have a commute of up to one hour.
- Once your housing selection is made on the application, no changes will be allowed, unless there are exceptional circumstances and FU-BEST will review each case and make a determination whether to grant the request or not.
- Read the link carefully on accommodations *Please note students will incur an additional cost if they choose Student Hub*
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, except the Federal Work-Study Program.
- The cost is equivalent to the tuition at Loyola, junior housing at Loyola, and a reduced comprehensive fee paid to Loyola, plus a program fee.
- Students must submit a study abroad deposit to Loyola to hold their place in the program after being accepted.
- Non-EU students will need to purchase a German residency permit and photos when abroad.
Apply to this Program
*Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.