Skip to main content

University College Cork-Cork, Ireland


Semester only (fall or spring)

Fall – mid to late August – late December

Spring – early January – mid to late May



Students study at the University College Cork (UCC). The university was established in 1845 and is one of Ireland's oldest universities. UCC is also a leading research university. Today, it is the home campus for over 17,000 students. There are over 1500 international students who attend UCC for a semester or year. UCC has 4 colleges: Art, Celtic Studies, and Social Science; Business and Law; Science, Engineering and Food Science; and Medicine and Health. UCC was voted University of the Year in 2011/2012.

Choosing When to Study in Cork 

The fall and spring semesters offer very different opportunities for students to study at UCC. We recommend that you investigate the benefits for the fall and spring semesters before deciding on which semester you want to study abroad. The Office of International Programs will provide several information sessions throughout the fall term. You should attend one of them.

Fall Semester at University College Cork

Students participate in the pre-term program called Early Start. Students can select one course from six to learn more about Ireland through a faculty-guided course. The early starts also provide limited excursions around Ireland. It is an excellent opportunity for students to gain an introduction to Ireland and Irish Studies through a carefully guided approach to the country's rich culture, history, politics, business, and civilization. Students who study abroad in the fall will receive a limited number of cultural excursions and dinners. Once the early start program is completed, students will register and start their fall term university courses.

Students can choose from the following early start: (fall semester only)

  • Early Start in Archaeology
  • Early Start in Irish Folklore and Ethnology
  • Early Start in Modern Irish History
  • Early Start in Literatures in Ireland
  • Early Start in Marketing and Management
  • Early Start in Music

Spring Semester at University College Cork

Students start classes early in January with registration taking place upon arrival. Students have approximately two and a half weeks off to prepare for finals and some use this time to travel. During the spring break, Loyola provides 1-4 day trip for the students who study in the spring, along with other cultural excursions and group dinners.


  • All courses, grades and credits transfer from University College Cork to Loyola University Maryland and are calculated into the student’s GPA. This includes credit booster courses which “boosts” credits so that students transfer the equivalent of five courses/fifteen semester-hour credits.
  • Grade of F will transfer and be calculated into the Loyola GPA.
  • You will be in the classroom with other Irish and international students
  • Loyola students will be studying in a European educational environment at UCC. As an example, for many of the courses offered at UCC, there may only be one test in the course, the final examination. The final examination can be written or oral and this final examination grade will be your final grade earned in the course. So, if you do well on the final examination that is your final grade. If you do not do well on the final examination that is your final grade too.
  • Registration takes place overseas. You need to have as many course options as possible to counter any registration problems, like a course cancellation or course time conflict.
  • Consult the Office of International Programs as early as possible to get assistance on course selections at Loyola so that you are prepared for Cork.
  • Not all students may be able to take major courses at UCC.
  • Science majors (biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, mathematical science), information systems majors, and economics majors must be approved to register for courses in the above departments at UCC. If you have a major or minor in one of these areas, schedule a meeting with your major advisor to discuss whether you could study abroad and not take any major courses and return to your major/minor and graduate on time.
  • If you plan to pursue additional education or take examinations that require you to submit documentation of courses and credits taken abroad, it is your responsibility to ensure in advance of going overseas that your courses and credits abroad will be accepted by the graduate and/or professional schools that you will apply to in the future.
  • Speech Pathology and Elementary Education majors will not be able to take any major courses abroad. It is very important to schedule a meeting with your major advisor to see if you can still study abroad without taking any major courses at UCC.
  • Accounting and finance majors will not be able to take any accounting or finance courses at UCC. Finance majors should take FI 320-Financial Management before fall of junior year in order to remain a finance major and study abroad.
  • Accounting majors may be able to take AC 301 - Intermediate Accounting I in the fall, and AC 302 - Intermediate Accounting II in the spring online while abroad.  Accounting majors should discuss this with the Accounting Department or the Sellinger School of Business.   
  • All students should save at least 3-4 electives to use as back-up courses for abroad.
  • Overall, students who study at the University College Cork do just as well at UCC as they do at Loyola. However, grades earned abroad can be higher or lower than what has been earned at Loyola. Loyola students will be learning in a different educational environment and this may reflect in their grades abroad.
  • Students have to follow the same prerequisites for courses abroad as you would at Loyola. Therefore, make sure you have satisfied any prerequisite(s) in order to be able to take certain core or major courses at UCC.
  • All students must at least maintain their cumulative GPA (2.800 or higher – and no rounding) through the end of the semester prior to studying abroad. If a student were to drop below the required cumulative GPA at the end of the semester prior to studying abroad, the initial acceptance can be rescinded by either Loyola, University College Cork or both and the student will be financially responsible for any payments made on his/her behalf (airline tickets, housing, tuition, travel assistance plan, etc.,) at the time of removal from the program.
  • Students who plan to attend graduate/professional schools after Loyola, or students who must submit official transcripts from abroad to governmental or private agencies should confirm if the grades and credits earned abroad will be accepted by these organizations. UCC gives numerical grades, and the credits earned abroad are not the same as at Loyola University Maryland. 
  • Loyola University Maryland accepts the grades and credits from abroad, but other institutions and/or organizations may not. You should investigate this BEFORE applying to study abroad.

Disclaimer: In case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester Loyola University will work with the host university abroad to provide additional support or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulations of the host university and the laws of the host country.  Loyola University Maryland will not makes any changes to its course, grade, or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.

Course Information

The course approvals and equivalencies provided are the most current for the Office of International Programs. Once accepted to a study abroad program, students will have an academic interview with the appropriate director and will be advised on their course selection.

Please be advised: All students are solely responsible for informing themselves about the status of these courses. Course approvals and equivalencies may change at a moment's notice. This means you should confirm if the following courses are approved, or if the courses have been removed.

If there are other courses you desire to take, and they are not on the course equivalency list; you must get written course approval by the department chair. The courses that you choose should fit into your degree audit and enable you to graduate on time.

On-Site Support

Students will be supported by our part-time director, Mary Breen. She is a full professor in the Department of English at UCC. Our part-time director will help students get acclimated to their new surroundings and direct them to the appropriate personnel or office that can assist them with any questions they may have. More information on academic services, practical life and services for students.

In addition to Mary Breen, students can consult the International Education Office for additional support.  Suzanne Buckley is the support officer for international students. 

UCC is a full university with very similar departments and offices like Loyola. They have a Disabilities and Support Services Office, a Student Health Office, a Student Counseling and Development Office, a Support Officer for International Students, and an International Education Office just to name a few on-site support services.

When reviewing the above information, please note that certain services and accommodations provided by Loyola may not be available abroad, or services or accommodations provided abroad may not be provided at the same caliber or manner as Loyola. You should contact the Office of International Programs  early in the process to find out more detailed information or to get in contact with the appropriate department at UCC.


  • Semester students currently live in Jennings Pool Apartments, part of the Brookfield Village complex.
  • Jennings Pool is farther away from the city center, approximately 20-25 minutes from the city center. However, it is very close UCC.
  • Jennings Pool is a private complex and it is not owned by the university.
  • The apartments are have different room-size configurations.
  • Most of the rooms are single bedrooms in a shared apartment.
  • The apartments are fully furnished, but students will have to provide their own wash cloths and towels.
  • Students share a living room, kitchen, and bathroom.
  • Apartments are co-ed or mixed sex apartments.
  • Jennings Pool rents to various groups of students, and not exclusively to Loyola. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that all students will have a single bedroom.
  • Please keep in mind that overseas housing is very different than housing at Loyola. Rooms are much smaller and may not have all the modern amenities U.S. housing may have.
  • Meals are not included. Students must provide for their own meals. There is a cafeteria on campus and other eateries around campus and in the city. Most students cook their own meals. There is an English market in town, and supermarkets.
  • Students can also find inexpensive pub food.


  • Federal College Work study is forfeited for the entire year when a student studies abroad for either one semester or for the full year.
  • Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, with the exception of the federal work-study assignment.
  • Loyola's financial aid can be used on this program.
  • All students must have a comprehensive health plan, which includes hospitalization and accidents that can be used while overseas.
  • All students must have a valid passport. The passport must have at least six months left after the study abroad program end date.
  • Students who receive college work study and study abroad may lose their college work study for the returning semester to Loyola. Contact the financial office for specific information.
  • Students will have to pay an Immigration Fee upon arrival. This is currently 300 Euros and is subject to increase.
  • Bedding is not provided, but linens can be bought upon arrival. Students can rent cleaned linens through Leeside or purchase their own in Ireland.
  • Students should budget for any start-up costs associated with study abroad.
  • Students pay a study abroad fee and a reduced comprehensive fee. Accepted students must submit a study abroad deposit to hold his/her spot in the program.
  • Please consult the financial aid office regarding your financial aid package.

Costs and Benefits*

Students/parents pay to Loyola the following charges:

  • Loyola tuition
  • Loyola housing charge
  • Reduced comprehensive fee
  • Program fee
  • Study abroad deposit to hold your place in the program

Students receive the following benefits on the Cork Program:

  • Tuition fee covered at UCC
  • Shared housing at Jennings Pool Apartments
  • Limited trips through Early Start Program (fall only); and limited cultural excursions
  • (no Early Start in the spring semester)
  • Official airport pick-up and drop-off
  • Orientation on campus and abroad
  • Enrollment in student travel plan
  • Guide fees, entrance fees, and motor coach expenses
  • Pre-departure orientation
  • Services provided by part-time on-site director

Items not included in the Loyola charges but should be budgeted for (items marked with * are required):

  • *Meals (past students suggest budgeting $1,800- $3,500)
  • *Passport
  • *Immigration fee (to enter and stay in Ireland)
  • cell phones and other communication expenses
  • Medical and dental check-ups (immunizations up to date)
  • *Start-up costs (bedding, cleaning supplies, etc.)
  • *Health insurance (if you do not have a health plan that is valid abroad)
  • Travel to and from the airport (United States)
  • Personal travel (hostels, hotels, airline or rail tickets, food, etc.)
  • Bike rentals (optional and most students do not purchase)

Unexpected items 
(These items do not normally occur but could happen depending on the student and unforeseen circumstances):

  • A hotel stay abroad for an emergency (snow storm or flight cancellation)
  • Lost keys or room damage (which students will be billed for by Loyola)
  • Illness (payment of services rendered expected at the time of service)
  • Summer school (student is behind in their degree program or a course is not offered abroad)

Health and Wellness Abroad

  • The Office of International Programs want students to be healthy and safe while abroad. UCC has a Student Health Center that students can use while overseas. This office supports international students, but there are limitations on what services can be provided to study abroad students. Not all services may be available or offered at the same level Loyola provides support services for students.  For example, there may be a wait time to see a counselor and there are limits to how many sessions students can have. Appointments with a psychiatrist may require the use of the student's private health insurance.
  • Students studying abroad can experience various emotions, from feeling elated to down in the dumps. This is part of the culture shock some students go through while living overseas. However, if it is more serious than just feeling a little home sick, students should seek the help of a professional immediately. For more information, visit the Student Counseling Center website.
  • If students are currently taking prescribed medications, it is not a good idea to go off of your medications when abroad. It could make a challenging situation worse. Students should inform their physicians they are going abroad, and ask for any recommendations on how to handle specific conditions, illnesses, or medications.
  • Students should make sure their immunizations are up to date before departing overseas. You can consult the CDC website or Loyola Student’s Health Center to determine what immunizations are required to study in France. If you currently take allergy or flu shots, you need to contact UCC in advance of departure to see if these shots can be continued while abroad.
  • Students with pre-existing medical conditions or documented learning disabilities should alert the program coordinator, or the appropriate personnel at UCC to ascertain if needed support services, such as a specialist, medications, counseling, or special accommodations are available abroad. These services and other medical or disability support structures need to be discussed and arranged in advance of departure. Please remember that support services differ in availability and/or scope. Accommodations and services provided by the Disability Support Service office may not be the same abroad as the services provided at Loyola. We encourage students to meet with Loyola's Disability Support Service Office to discuss their options for abroad. Disability Support at UCC.
  • UCC requires documentation for any learning disabilities, and it must be presented before attending classes. It is strongly recommended that you submit any documentation you have in advance of departure to ensure any support services you may need are 1) available at UCC and 2) can be arranged for you.
  • Shipping medication is not recommended, and in some cases illegal. We suggested that you obtain from your doctor and pharmacist enough medication(s) to last for the duration of the program. In addition, we also recommend bringing the name, dosage, and the breakdown of the medication just in case the student needs to purchase a particular medication(s) while abroad. This information should be noted on a doctor’s stationery or prescription pad.
  • Keep in mind certain medications considered legal in the United States may be deems illegal abroad. This should be discussed way in advance of departure so that other arrangements can be discussed in the event you will not be able to take or obtain a certain medication(s) abroad. In addition, allergy or flu shots may not be provided to our students.

Health Insurance Abroad

All students must be covered under a comprehensive health insurance plan while studying abroad. As part of your documents for abroad, you will need to submit a letter from your health care provider on their stationary. The original letter you must take with you abroad, but a copy must be made and submitted to the Office of International Programs. The letter should state the following:

  • Student’s name
  • Duration of coverage (date of departure straight through date of return)
  • Includes hospitalization and accident coverage (at the minimum)
  • What the plan specifically covers
  • Coverage limits

In addition, the Irish government is now requiring that students’ health insurance plans must include and state in the in the letter they are providing to Irish immigration officials and to Loyola that they have €25,000 for Accident and €25,000 for Disease. This is a new requirement that must be met in order to study in Ireland.

If your health insurance company is not willing to put in writing the above requirements for Irish officials, or if your health insurance plan does not include accident and disease in the plan, you will need to purchase another health plan in order to study abroad in Ireland.

You can find your own health plan, or you can review the ACE/AXA American Insurance Company. Learn more about ACE/AXA.

All students will need to submit their health insurance letters by November 1 for spring and April 1 for fall.

Travel to and From Ireland

  • Group flights are arranged for students traveling to Cork. Student departures are usually from Newark International Airport on United Airlines.
  • In some cases, there are no non-stop flights for the departure or return date. In this case, students may have to fly into another city before reaching the departure or return airport. It is the student’s financial responsibility to pay for any additional transportation to and from the departure city and airport. If the student misses the group flight, it is up to the student to work with the airline to book and get on the next available flight.
  • Students usually fly to Dublin International Airport, where a motor coach with the director, Mary Breen, will take them to Jennings Pool Apartments in Cork. The ride is about 3 ½ hour ride. Once the departure city is determined, information on carry-ons, luggage amounts, and restrictions will be given to the student.
  • You may contact Alice Wilcox at to make any changes on the return ticket only. No changes will be made if it will jeopardize the group flight arrangements or cost.
  • Due to registration taking place abroad, we do not know in advance when each student’s last final examination will be. If students want to change their return ticket only, they will have to contact Frosch Travel, not the Office of International Programs, to facilitate the change.

Documents for Abroad

 Currently, the following documents are required to travel and study in Ireland:

  • Valid, signed passport (with six months left after the program end date)
  • Immigration card (obtained in Ireland)
  • Letter from health insurance company verifying health coverage that is valid abroad
  • Official letter of acceptance from UCC
  • Letter of support from Loyola University Maryland
  • No visa - currently, American citizens do not need a student visa - subject to change at any time

Handling Money Abroad

  • Students can easily use both American credit cards (MasterCard and Visa mostly) and American ATM/Debit cards from US banks to pay for goods and services in Ireland. This is especially useful for visits to the hospital and payments for air travel. Make sure you contact your bank and credit card company prior to your departure in order to let them know you will be in Ireland for a specific period of time. It is also good to let the banks know when you will be traveling outside of Ireland, too, so your card will not be deactivated.
  • Check to see if your US bank has an agreement or an affiliation. This may cut down on ATM/Debit card user fees. Past students recommend that students take out enough cash to last a few weeks. This cuts down on withdrawing monies every week and thus incurring bank fees.
  • Students reported spending anywhere from $3500-$9,000 during a semester in addition to paying for tuition and housing. These funds are primarily used for travel, meals, and entertainment. The exchange rate and other factors can affect spending amounts .

Irish Currency

The Irish unit of currency is the Euro, which is abbreviated as EUR. 

Cash (ATMs)

The easiest way to handle money is with an American ATM card. You should check with the issuer to make sure your numerical PIN number will work abroad. You can only draw from a primary (usually checking) account. Be sure to check with your bank to make sure you ATM card can be used in Ireland and Europe. Check with your home bank to see what fees will be assessed by them.

It is also imperative that your bank knows that your child is going abroad to Ireland. For your child’s protection, the bank will block your credit card for any charge that seems out of the ordinary.

Credit Cards

You can use credit cards in Ireland and Europe for everything from drawing cash to buying dinner to taking a cab. While Visa and MasterCard are more widely accepted than American Express for purchases, American Express offers its card holders some very useful financial services. Check with each company before you depart.

Drawbacks to Plastic

Even with careful planning and strict adherence to a budget, it is very easy to overspend. Finance charges can add up quickly if you extend payment on goods or take out cash advances. It is a good idea to establish an online banking account with your bank at home so that you can monitor your spending in U.S. dollars.

Obtaining a Major Credit Card

The card you use overseas should be in your name as given on the passport. At a cardholder's request (parent or guardian), most major lenders will issue a dependent's card.


  • The Student Health Office at UCC is also recommending that you get a Meningitis C shot when you arrive on campus. Even though you might have had a Meningitis shot already, the Health Center at UCC has informed us that there is a different strain of Meningitis that is found in Ireland. The shot is free and provided by the Student Health Office at UCC. It is not mandatory, but highly recommended by the Health Office at UCC. You can also consult the CDC website to help you with your decision. It is up to you whether you want to get it.
  • Students studying at UCC have limited access to the counseling and support center there. There are some restrictions regarding visiting students and services available to them. There may be a wait time to see a counselor and there are limits to how many sessions students can have. Appointments with a psychiatrist may require the use of the student's private health insurance.
  • UCC has a Disability Support Service Office. This office supports international students, but there are limitations on what services can be provided to study abroad students. Accommodations and services provided by the Disability Support Service office may not be the same abroad as the services provided at Loyola. We encourage students to meet with Loyola's Disability Support Service Office to discuss their options for abroad.


Criteria for Applying

University College Cork requires that students have at least a 3.00 cumulative QPA. However, students with a cumulative QPA of a 2.800 (no rounding up) can be considered, but admission will be based on the competitive pool of applications. ROTC candidates can apply as freshman to study abroad in the spring of their sophomore year. You should apply if you meet the following:

  • Attend an information session on Cork;
  • Attend registration sessions to determine if your degree program matches the courses offered abroad;
  • Students must declare a major before applying to the Cork program.
  • Students who are undeclared will not be considered for the Cork program.
  • Discuss with your major advisor the possible courses you could take abroad and see if there are any potential problems he/she sees with your plans to study in Cork;
  • Academic interviews will be based on current course offerings;
  • Registration will take place abroad and the course offerings for the term you will be abroad will be finalized overseas
  • Save as many electives for abroad to help with potential registration problems; and
  • Discuss with your family if taking a summer course(s) is an option to help with any unexpected academic problems that could occur at Loyola or abroad. 

Application Requirements

  • Students must submit an online application and a Course Planning form by the second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break of the sophomore year to study abroad in the fall or spring term of junior year.
  • All students must declare their major, and minor if applicable, prior to submitting their online application.
  • Undeclared majors will be turned down automatically.

Criteria for Remaining in the Program

Studying abroad is a privilege that students have to earn by receiving and maintaining the required cumulative GPA to be accepted into the Cork program. Students must also demonstrate through their disciplinary record (on and off campus) to the Office of International Programs they are able to represent Loyola University Maryland and the United States through the display of personal responsibility, honesty and integrity for oneself and others by making wise choices and avoiding risky and/or harmful behavior that could jeopardize their privilege to study abroad and/or harm the reputation of Loyola University, the host institution and their fellow students.

Therefore, once you are conditionally accepted into the Cork program, it is YOUR responsibility to keep your spot in the program. This includes your academic and disciplinary records at Loyola, which the Office of International Programs will review a second time prior to departure.

Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.800 (no rounding up) by the end of the semester prior to going abroad. Not maintaining the cumulative GPA of 2.800 could result in removal from the program. Summer (at Loyola or away) school will not be considered as an appeal to remain in the Cork program. Students will be financially responsible for any bills incurred by the Office of International Programs on the student’s behalf. This includes but not limited to airline tickets, housing and tuition deposits or full payments, etc. The student will be billed for these items. 

In addition to maintaining the academic requirement to study abroad, a student must also maintain the disciplinary requirement and not get into any disciplinary trouble after being accepted into the program. When a student gets into disciplinary trouble after receiving his/her acceptance, this strongly indicates to the Office of International Programs the student is not taking the opportunity he/she has been given to study abroad seriously, and it could also be an indicator of potential behavioral problems while abroad. If a student receives any disciplinary sanctions after being accepted into the Cork program, he/she can be removed from the program and the student will be financially responsible for any payments made on his/her behalf. This includes but not limited to airline tickets, housing and tuition or full payments, etc. The student will be billed for these items.

This program is limited to 15 students in the Fall semester and 25 students in the spring semester.

Apply to this Program

*Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.


Contact Us

Phone: 410-617-2910
Office: Humanities 132

Additional contact information


In order to apply, all students must attend a Study Abroad 101 (Powerpoint) session before the application deadline. The application deadline for all Fall, Spring, and year-long opportunities during academic year 2024-25 is December 4, 2024.

The deadline for opportunities taking place during academic year 2025-26 will be announced during the Spring 2024 semester.

Study Abroad 101 (Powerpoint)