Apply to this Program
Students study at the American University of Paris (AUP). The university was established in 1962 and is the oldest American university of higher education in France. AUP is an urban campus made up of multiple buildings located in the 7th arrondissement in Paris. It is located on the left bank of the Seine River, very close to many famous sites including the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the Hotel des Invalides.
- Registration will take place just prior to your departure; students should have multiple course options for pre-registration from the AUP course catalog, including 3-4 elective course options from the Loyola approved course equivalencies. Once accepted to a study abroad program, students will have an academic interview with the appropriate director and will be advised on their course selection.
- Students should research the course pre-requisites and be prepared to demonstrate that you meet the qualifications for courses at AUP.
- AUP cannot guarantee that students will receive their top course choices.
Disclaimer: In the case of strikes or unexpected disruption to the academic semester, Loyola will work with the host university abroad to provide additional or other academic arrangements to enable students to complete their coursework in agreement with the rules and regulation of the host university and the laws of the host country. Loyola University Maryland will not make any changes to its course, grade or credit transfer policies following such circumstances.
- Students typically live in shared apartments and may choose to coordinate their housing either directly through AUP or in independent housing based on their own budget, preferences and tastes. If students select an AUP housing option, they will have AUP support in the event that any issues arise; if students choose an independent housing option, they will be responsible to work directly with their landlord or agency to resolve any issues.
- Housing options vary greatly, and students will be required to complete a walk-through of their residence at the beginning and end of each semester to ensure there is no damage or missing items.
- AUP does not offer any meal plans.
Travel to Paris
- Students coordinate their own air travel to Paris (cost is not included in the program fee)
- If students arrive on the designated orientation start date, AUP will coordinate pick up from the Charles de Gaulle airport.
Students/parents pay to Loyola the following charges:
- Loyola Tuition
- Reduced comprehensive fee
- Program fee
- Study abroad deposit to hold your place in the program
Students receive the following benefits on the Paris Program:
- Tuition fee covered at the American University of Paris
- Workshops on campus
- Orientation abroad
- Pre-departure orientation at Loyola
- Grades from abroad are transferred and calculated into your Loyola GPA
Study Abroad Budget
Items not included in the Loyola charges but should be budgeted for on this program:
*required for the Paris program
- Meals (past students suggest budgeting $1,000- $ 2,500 per month)
- Shared apartment (usually $1200 to $1500 per month) – usually includes utilities, cutlery, bedding - subject to change and students/parents should confirm
- Visa fees – approximately $350
- International travel insurance
- Student health center charge at AUP (currently 43 Euro)
- Cell phones and other communication expenses
- Public transportation (Métro or subway)
- Personal travel (hostels, hotels, airline or rail tickets, food, etc)
Additional Information Regarding Costs
- All students must have a valid passport with an expiration date at least six months after the program end date.
- Students are eligible for consideration for all forms of federal, state, institutional and private sources of aid, with the exception of the federal work-study assignment.
- Loyola's financial aid can be used on this program.
Students should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your aid package and how it will work with study abroad.
Health and Wellness Abroad
The Office of International Programs want students to be healthy and safe while abroad. AUP has a Health and Wellness Center that students can use while overseas. This office supports international students.
AUP requires documentation for any learning disabilities, and it must be presented before attending classes. It is strongly recommended that you submit any documentation you have in advance of departure to ensure any support services you may need are 1) available at AUP and 2) can be arranged for you.
Criteria for Applying
The Paris Study Abroad program requires a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA. Students must have declared their major before submitting their on-line application.
Students must submit a completed on online application and a Course Planning Form by 11:59 pm on the second Wednesday after Thanksgiving break of the sophomore year to study abroad in the fall or spring term of junior year.
Apply to this Program
*Please keep in mind that study abroad information, dates, benefits, and fees are subject to change without notification. You are encouraged to contact the Office of International Programs directly for the most up-to-date information regarding any study abroad programs offered at Loyola.