Loyola's writing department offers a major, an interdisciplinary major, and a minor. Information on these degree options is below. These links will take you to other pages containing important information about our curriculum:
Writing majors take a total of twelve writing courses. These courses begin with WR100 Effective Writing (our core course) in the first year and end with the Senior Seminar. Here are the writing major worksheets:
*Class of 2024 should use the worksheet for the catalogue year they chose to follow. Learn more about the option to change to the new catalogue requirements.
Interdisciplinary writing majors take a total of nine writing courses. These courses begin with WR100 Effective Writing (our core course) in the first year and end with the Senior Seminar. Interdisciplinary majors also take seven to nine courses in another major. Here are the writing interdisciplinary major worksheets:
Writing minors take a total of seven writing courses. These courses begin with WR100 Effective Writing (our core course) in the first year and end with the Senior Seminar. A writing minor could be paired with any number of majors to help you communicate effectively in any discipline. Download the writing minor worksheet.
Because we are limiting WR 355: Travel Writing Course to just study abroad students, registering for this class is a bit complicated. We’re sorry, and we thank you for your patience! Directions from records are below:
- Students will be unable to register electronically for WR 355 for Spring 2022. Therefore, Records, AASC, and OIP have come up with the process below for students who are studying abroad to register for it.
- Each student wanting to register for WR 355 needs to complete a Change of Registration form to add this course.
- The form can be found here Student Forms - Records Office - Loyola University Maryland or the department gives it to interested students.
- Student completes the form, has their advisor sign it, and brings form to AASC (the department chair can also collect them from the advisors and take them to AASC).
- If WR 355 is a 6th course, the student must request their advisor give them 6th course permission in Student Planning and check the Sixth Course check box on the form before Academic Advising can approve the registration.
- The final required signature is from Academic Advising.
- Academic Advising will need to scan each form into RecordsImageNow@loyola.edu for processing.
- Students will not be registered for this course until after Denise Hiller in Records has updated their Colleague student record for their particular study abroad program so billing is done appropriate towards the proper program.
- After all Study Abroad students have registered, the restriction can be removed by the department chair through a CCS form comment and other students may register until it is filled, if applicable.
WR355 is a free elective, regardless of major.
View course syllabus
Here is an example of the type reading that will be required.