Loyola University Maryland

Academic Advising and Support Center



Prior to fall and spring registration, faculty advisors are required to meet with each of their students to go over course selection and grant them electronic permission to register.  Faculty advisors should make certain that their advisees are aware of each of the prerequisites for the courses for which they wish to register. Registration dates, Drop/add deadlines, and withdrawal deadlines are published on the Records Office  and AASC website.

  • The Records Office notifies students of their registration day and time by email. 
  • The drop/add period: Schedule changes may be made independently by students on WebAdvisor or through the AASC after the student has registered for their five courses. The drop/add period extends through the first four days of classes.
    • The signature of the faculty advisor is not required to make schedule changes during this period. 
  • Withdrawal periodThe withdrawal period begins on the fifth day of classes.  Classes can no longer be added or dropped at this point, but students may withdraw from the course and a “W” will appear on the transcript.  The faculty advisor, professor of the course from which the student is withdrawing, and an AASC administrator must sign the Change of Registration Form during this period. It is the student's responsibility to obtain all necessary signatures and submit the Change of Registration form prior to the withdraw deadline.

    Things to Consider When Advising a Student who is Considering Withdrawing from a Class: 
    • Withdrawing from a course may affect a student’s scholarship or financial aid.  It is the responsibility of the student to contact the Office of Financial Aid before submitting the Change of Registration Form.
    • Dropping below twelve credits may affect a student’s eligibility for on-campus housing. The Office of Student Life will be notified when a student drops below twelve credits.
    • If a student on academic probation wishes to withdraw from a course, the student must consult with their probation advisor.


During registration, students seeking permission to register for classes that are full may submit an “override request” form to the AASC.  Override forms can be found on the AASC Website and submitted by email or in person to the AASC Office Maryland Hall 138.   An administrator in the Academic Advising and Support Center contacts the appropriate department chair to seek approval.  Department chairs are the only faculty members who may grant or deny a student’s request to override a course.
During the week of the Drop/Add period, students are sent directly to Department Chairs for override request approval.

Specialized Studies

Specialized studies forms are available both in the AASC (MH 138) and the Records Office (MH 141). All specialized studies forms require the signatures of the department chair and the faculty sponsor or instructor. Specialized studies forms and internship course registrations must be completed within the regular registration period. 

  • Independent Study: Independent study courses are special courses that permit a student to study a subject or topic in considerable depth beyond the scope of a regular course.  The student works closely and directly with the instructor as a scholarly team.  A student must expect to devote considerably more time to one of these courses than to a regular course.  Since the work is largely original on the part of the student, the faculty director only gives general direction and guidance.
    • The instructor must specify details of the course, including assignments and deliverables, as well as the number of credits that will be awarded for the course.
  • Private Study: Private study courses are Loyola courses that the student has not been able to schedule in the regular sequence.  The scope, the assignments, and the requirements for a private study course are the same as for the Loyola course. Since a private study course is equivalent to the Loyola course, it is important that the instructor notes the course number on the form. 
    • Core courses may not be taken through private study and scheduling conflicts may not be resolved by registering for courses as private study.
  • Internships: Internship courses provide opportunities for practical experience in a particular discipline.  Only students with junior or senior status are eligible to take graded internships. Only one three-credit internship may count towards graduation requirements.
    • All internships are arranged within a department and involve a student working in a regular business or professional environment under the guidance of an on-site supervisor  and a Loyola faculty member.  In many departments, internship courses include class time each week with other interns as well as the time on-site.
    • Internship grades are determined by the faculty as in regular courses. 

Repeat/Replacement of a Course

  • A student may choose to repeat any course. There is no minimum grade required for a repeat. Students who fail a course specifically required in the core or major must repeat the same course. All grades for a repeated course will be included with the original grade in the computation of the cumulative QPA. The original grade remains on the transcript and the repeat course appears with an "R" next to the new grade on the transcript. 
  •  Students changing majors will find that major course requirements are significantly different from department to department. These students may be permitted to replace grades in major courses from the original major with grades in major courses from the new major. The grade for such a replacement course will replace the original grade in the computation of the QPA regardless of whether it is higher or lower. Both the old and the new grade will appear on the transcript, but an "X" will appear next to the original grade.

Sixth Course

Students may register for only five courses, exclusive of one-credit, two-credit, and Military Science courses, on their assigned day of registration.  To request a sixth course, students must receive electronic permission from their advisor. 

  • First-year students are permitted to request a sixth course for their second semester if they earn a QPA of 3.000 for five (three- or four-credit) classes during their first semester.  
  • Upperclassmen must be in good academic standing (having a QPA of 2.000 or above) to request a sixth course. 
  • Students on academic probation may not take six courses.  
  • Students may add sixth courses after all class years have had an opportunity to register for five courses.

Sixth courses should only be undertaken by students who can handle the extra work and commitment that a sixth course entails.  Faculty advisors should help the student make this decision and have the right to deny the student's request if a sixth course is not appropriate. Advisors may also give “permission with reservation” to indicate that the student is technically eligible to take a sixth course, but is doing so against the advisor’s recommendation.

Summer Courses 

Students who wish to take courses at Loyola during the summer should follow the registration instructions available on the summer sessionspage, and students who wish to take summer courses at another institution for credit should follow the instructions available on the summer courses away page.