Placement testing for the Class of 2024 will open on April 20, 2020. Incoming students must complete the mathematics and foreign language placement exams from home. No outside books or other resources can be used while taking these exams. Not taking placement tests could impact your ability to register for certain courses.
Foreign Language Placement Tests
All students must complete at least one course at or above the Intermediate II level (104) in a modern or classical language to fulfill Loyola’s core curriculum. Instructions for taking the tests are available below:
Math Placement Tests
All students are required to take at least one course in mathematics or statistics to fulfill Loyola's core curriculum (except MA*005 and MA*109).
Students who have completed high school calculus (must be calculus; pre-calculus does not qualify) do NOT need to take Loyola’s math placement exam.
Instructions for taking the math placement test are available below:
- Login to the math placement test through ALEKS Placement Exam
- Enter your Inside Loyola login credentials when prompted. In the “user name” field, enter your full Loyola student email address. (e.g. email@example.com)
- Take the ALEKS survey and introduction tutorial. (approx. 5 minutes)
- Once you begin the placement test, you have 48 hours to finish it. You can pause and restart as many times as you need during that time.
- Go slow and read each question carefully. The placement test is adaptive, so if you get a question wrong it will usually give you an easier question to follow up.
- You can retake the placement test after you do five (5) hours of work on the practice modules that the test provides. You must finish the test before you have access to the practice modules.
Students who need an accessible version of the exam should log in using this link: ALEKS Accessible Version and then follow the instructions above.
Placement results will be discussed with an advisor during orientation.
Students who complete or retake the exam after orientation will need to notify AASC at 410-617-5050 so that AASC can update the scores in the system.
If you experience any technical issues with the exam, please visithttps://mhedu.force.com/aleks/s/