Use the links below to help you navigate the registration process for Spring 2020 courses while you are abroad. Students should determine how you will register, if you are currently taking any prerequisite courses, what forms you must submit to OIP and when they are due.
General Registration Information
Registration Process and Troubleshooting
Sixth Course & Course Overrides
Changing Your Course Selection After Registration
There are multiple options for students to pursue when registering based on their needs and previous courses. Listed are the different options for registration;
- Self-Register: All students will self-register unless they need special assistance from the Office of International Programs. For students who will self-register please see section #1 below.
- Pre-Requisite Courses While Abroad: If you are taking a pre-requisite(s) for a Spring 2020 course while abroad you will need to complete the Study Abroad Prerequisite Registration form and submit to OIP by October 4, 2019. If you are taking a pre-requisite course abroad for a course you wish to take next semester, please see section #2 below.
- Pre-Requisite Over Summer: If you took a course over the summer (2019) and it is a prerequisite for a class you need to take in the spring, make sure you request an official transcript from the summer institution to send to Loyola’s Records Office to transfer the course and credits. If you took a summer course at Loyola, the course will be in our system. If you know that you have received credit for your summer course, you will self-register during your assigned day and time and you do not need to submit any form to OIP.
- OIP Registers you: If you are on a Loyola sponsored trip or will be in class during your registration time, you can ask OIP to register you. You will need to complete the Undergraduate Form for Study Abroad Students by October 11, 2019. If you will be requesting that the OIP registers for courses for you, please see option #3 below.
*OIP will give all students electronic permission to register, with the exception of Sociology majors. While we will give you electronic permission to register, you will not be able to see it online. Sociology majors must receive electronic permission to register by their major advisor.
- Students who are self-registering and not taking ANY prerequisites abroad will NOT have to complete a Study Abroad Registration Form for Spring 2020.
- If you took a summer course (2019) away, make sure the course and credits have been transferred and recorded in our computer system BEFORE you register for classes.
- You should go into WebAdvisor on your appointed day and time and register for your courses just like you would if you were on the Baltimore campus.
2. Self-Registering and Taking Pre-requisites Abroad
- Students who are self-registering AND are taking a prerequisite class(s) abroad for a course you want to take next semester will need to complete the Study Abroad Prerequisite Registration form and submit to OIP by October 4, 2019.
- Send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you list the course number, the course title, and the section you want. DO NOT SEND TO ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT ON CAMPUS – JUST TO OIP.
- Once you complete the form and submit it to us, we will go into the system to input the prerequisite course(s) you are currently taking, so that you should be able to self-register for all of your classes on your registration day and time.
- If you do not submit the Study Abroad Prerequisite Registration form to email@example.com by October 4, 2019, you will need to complete the following steps:
1. Register for the classes that do not have any prerequisites.
2. Exit WebAdvisor
3. Email your program coordinator the course you want to be registered for along with the course you are currently in that is the prerequisite (s) for the class you want to take.
4. Check WebAdvisor 10 -20 minutes to see if the course(s) are on your schedule.
3. OIP Registers you - for Students in Class or on a Loyola Sponsored Trip
Students who will be in class or on a Loyola sponsored trip on their registration day and time can ask the Office of International Programs to register them.
- Students will need to complete and submit the 3 page, Undergraduate Form for Study Abroad Students by October 11, 2019 to the Office of International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send to any other department other than OIP (Office of International Programs).
- On the first page, students should list their top 5 – 3 credit courses, plus any 1 – credit or 2 – credit course needed.
- On the second page, students should list their course alternates for their top 5 courses. The list should NOT be repeats of the courses listed on the first page.
- On the third page, students must list the courses and credits they are taking abroad to verify prerequisites for courses in the spring.
Complete this form and send to email@example.com by October 4, 2019 if you are planning on self-registering but are taking a prerequisite course abroad.
OIP Registration Form
Complete this form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 11, 2019 if you want the Office of International Programs to register you for all of your courses for next semester on your registration day.
General Registration Information:
The Spring 2020 registration dates:
- Class of 2020 – October 23, 2019
- Class of 2021 – October 30, 2019
- Class of 2022 – November 6, 2019
- Class of 2023 – November 13 & 14, 2019
- Registration is based on Eastern Standard Time Zone. You will need to take this into consideration.
- Daylights Saving Time begins November 3, 2019 in the United States.
- OIP will give all students electronic permission to register, with the exception of Sociology majors. Sociology majors must receive electronic permission to register by their major advisor. You will not be able to see our electronic permission.
- On or around October 7, 2019 you will be able to find your time and number by going to inside.loyola.edu, WebAdvisor for Students, Registration, Reg/Appointment Permission (Undergraduates Only) and to see if you are on a hold for registration.
- All course-related information is available via inside.Loyola.edu, WebAdvisor (WA) for Students, Search for Sections.
- Look out for an email from the Records Office later in the semester with more information and full WA registration instructions.
- You can ONLY register for 5-3 credit courses, plus 1 or 2 credit labs or courses on your registration day.
- You will not be able to register for 6-3 credit courses on your registration day.
How to access course registration
Two paths of access to the registration system are offered. Choose one:
- https://inside.loyola.edu (Portal)
- WebAdvisor for Students > Registration, and click Undergraduate Registration
- https://www.loyola.edu/webadvisor (WebAdvisor Direct)
- Students > Undergraduate Registration
- This path is useful as a backup in case there are ever issues with the InsideLoyola portal
Confirm you are not on a financial hold:
- Students on financial holds will not be allowed to register for courses. Therefore, you should check if you are on a financial hold by going to insideLoyola.edu, WebAdvisor, Reg/Appointment Permission.
- Sometimes holds are added just prior to registration, so be sure to check this screen the day before you register.
- If you are on a hold, you should contact SAS (Student Administrative Services) at SAS@loyola.edu or call 410-617-5047 to resolve the matter before registration.
Deposits for Spring 2020:
- All students who need on-campus housing for spring 2020 submit a $300 housing deposit to Student Administrative Services by October 25, 2019.
- Late payment of the above deposit(s) can result in not being registered for the spring and not receiving on campus housing.
- If you plan to live on-campus spring of 2020, study abroad students must complete the first step of the online housing selection process for spring 2020 by the dates Student Life sends to you. Failing to complete the first step of the on-line housing process will result in students not able to continue with the on-line housing process for your returning semester. As a result, students who do not complete first part of the on-line application will not receive on-campus housing.
- Here is the link to Student Administrative Services: http://www.loyola.edu/department/reenrollmentdeposit.aspx
Confirm what courses you plan to take:
- Check times and professors for courses you want to take spring 2020.
- Confirm you did not create any time conflicts.
- Seniors: (Class of 2020) should check their registrations with their major advisors before registering for classes. Seniors can add a sixth course on October 24.
- Juniors: (Class of 2021) should check WebAdvisor to see which courses are still open after senior registration. You may have to change your course selections since some courses will close after senior registration. Make sure you confirm your course selection with your major advisor before registering for classes.
- Sophomores: (Class of 2022) should check WebAdvisor to see which courses are still open after junior registration. You may have to change your course selections since some courses will close after senior and junior registration. Make sure you confirm your course selection with your major advisor before registering for classes.
- Confirm if you need to take a sixth course. Remember, your major advisor must give you electronic permission to take a sixth course.
- The Office of International Programs will give you electronic permission to register for classes. We HIGHLY recommend that you contact your major advisor before registering to confirm what courses you plan to take.
Confirm if your course selections have a prerequisite(s) or need electronic permission from the instructor/department chair:
- Check all courses you plan to take to see if they have a prerequisite(s) or needs electronic permission from the instructor.
- The computer will only allow students to register for classes when the prerequisite course(s) are noted in the computer system. This is why it is very important to complete the Course Prerequisite Form by the deadline set by OIP, so that you should be able to self-register for classes that have prerequisites you are currently taking abroad.
- If you took a course over the summer (2019) but you did not have the official transcript sent to the Records Office for processing, you will not be able to register for a course(s) this spring that has the summer course(s) in 2019 as a prerequisite(s).
- Make sure all summer away 2019 transcripts have been processed by our Records Office before your registration day.
- If a course needs electronic permission from the instructor, it is YOUR responsibility to contact the instructor before your registration date and time to receive the electronic permission.
- We recommend getting the permission from the instructor in advance of your registration date.
- Email permission from the instructor will be accepted, but you will need to send the email permission before your registration date to your study abroad coordinator in the Office of International Programs AND THE Office of International Programs will have to register you for the course(s).
- Email permission(s) from instructors must be received by October 18, 2019 for the Class of 2020, October 25, 2019 for the Class of 2021, and November 1, 2019 for the Class of 2022.
- If you do not receive electronic or email permission, OIP or you will not be able to register for the course(s).
Registration Process and Troubleshooting:
If you are self-registering:
- You will register yourself for courses exactly like you have in the past through WebAdvisor.
- If you see an “error” message when you try to register;
- Confirm that you are trying to access registration during your assigned time.
- Attempting to register for classes before you are given access will result in an error. This does not mean you will not be able to register, it means you are too early. You will not have access until the exact minute your time block opens.
- Contact the Office of Technology Services at 410-617-5555, if you have any technical difficulties with InsideLoyola or the direct WebAdvisor site.
- Confirm that you see your schedule once you are done registering. If you do not see your schedule after you have completed the registration process, contact OIP.
If OIP is registering for you:
- OIP will register you for the courses you elected on the form you submitted to email@example.com
- Please note: OIP may be registering multiple students in each registration time block so you may not see that you have been registered for you classes the minute your access on WebAdvisor opens.
- DO NOT go into WebAdvisor yourself if you have asked OIP to register you. This will block access and could jeopardize your registration.
- Wait 20 minutes to see that you have been registered for courses. They may not appear if you check right away.
Sixth Course & Course Override
Registering for a Sixth Course
- All students must get permission for a sixth course from their major advisor.
- OIP cannot give electronic permission for a sixth course.
- If you are unable to self-register because of a prerequisite issue, you can contact Academic Advising and Support Center via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Seniors (Class of 2020) will be able to register for a sixth course on October 24, 2019
- All other classes can self-register for a sixth course starting November 18, 2019 from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm.
Completing a Course Override
- If a course you need to take in the spring is closed, you will need to complete a Course Override form.
- You will have to complete a separate form for each closed course that you want to take.
- You can find physical copies of the form in the Academic Advising and Support Center if you wish to fill them out in person in the office.
- If you wish to fill out the form and submit it electronically you will need to email it to email@example.com.
Changing Your Course Selection:
- If you have self-registered and wish to change your course selection, you have until 4:00 p.m. EST to add/drop any classes.
- Once registration is closed for the day you will need to send any changes to your course schedule to the Academic Advising and Support Center (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If the Office of International Programs registered for you and you wish to make changes to your schedule, you need to email email@example.com for assistance with add/drop from abroad.
- OIP will not have registration access after 4:00 p.m. on the day of registration.
- Requests for course schedule changes will be handled in the order they are received.
- All students (whether you self-registered or OIP registered for you) will be able to change their schedule using WebAdvisor. Add/Drop opens on WebAdvisor on November 18, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. EST.
Top of Page