Looking Ahead to 2020:
Messina, in conjunction with the Office of Student Engagement, is seeking suggestions and nominations for the 2020 Common Text. The books should be thought-provoking, engaging to a first-year student audience and easily applied to a range of disciplines and Messina themes (Self and Other, Stories We Tell, The Good Life and The Visionary). In particular, we are interested in reviewing books that fcontribute to an understanding of Ignatian Citizenship. When reviewing books, the committee considers the following criteria:
- High Quality – the book must be an example of good writing.
- The topics addressed can apply to variety of themes (Messina themes) and can be welcoming to various disciplines.
- Students should be able to read the book independently over the summer (without guidance and instruction).
- The book should have a hook to engage a high school graduate (and at the same time, should avoid a redundant experience from high school).
- While no book is off limits, we should be aware of the “agenda” perception/argument – as a committee, we should be ready to defend the selection to a wide audience that includes colleagues, parents and students.
We are also seeking faculty members and administrators representing a variety of disciplines/schools, student development departments and Messina theme participation to serve on the 2020 selection committee. The first Common Text Committee meeting will be scheduled for late September 2019. During the fall semester, committee members will read 3-4 of the texts under consideration and will offer feedback towards the final selection, which should take place in March 2020.
2019-2020 Committee Meetings:
- Thursday, October 3, 2019, 1:30pm-3:00pm, College Center Conference Room 107
- Thursday, November 21, 2019, 1:30pm-3:00pm, College Center Conference Room 107
- Thursday, February 13, 2020, 1:30pm-3:00pm, College Center Conference Room 105
- Thursday, March 12, 2020, 1:30pm-3:00pm, College Center Conference Room 105
Fill out a form to suggest a book or to express interest in joining the committee.