Skip to main content

Exchange Students Frequently Asked Questions

What is the application deadline for international students?

Fall semester – All documents must be submitted by March 4

Spring semester – All documents must be submitted by October 16

Please note, if you are applying to be a year-long exchange student, follow the deadline for the semester that you intend to begin your program at Loyola (for example, if your intended first semester will begin in the Fall, you will follow the deadline for Fall Semester applicants)

I am not from a school listed as a Loyola University Maryland exchange partner. Can I still apply?

Loyola University Maryland only accepts exchange students from our exchange partner institutions. If you are a student at one of those universities, please contact your International Office to find out if you are eligible to apply for exchange with Loyola.  Once you have been accepted to the exchange through your institution, then you can begin the application process with Loyola. The exchange coordinator at your university will work with you to complete this process.

I have never studied in the United States before, what documentation will I need if I am accepted to Loyola?

International exchange applicants should refer to the OISS Exchange Student page for specific information on what documentation is needed.

What immigration documents will I need in order to Study at Loyola as an Exchange Student?

In order to study at Loyola as an Exchange student, you will need to apply for an F-1 Student Visa. Once you have been accepted into the exchange program, Loyola will issue a Form I-20 so that you can apply for an F-1 student visa.

What is a Form I-20?

The Form I-20, also known as a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status”, is an important document that provides supporting information on a student’s F-1 status. All F-1 students, who study in the United States, need a Form I-20.

How would I know if I need a Form I-20 to study in the United States?

If you are a non-immigrant wishing to study in the United States at Loyola University Maryland full time, you must apply for an F-1 student Visa.

What documents should I provide in order to be issued a Loyola Form I-20?

In order for OISS to issue a Form I-20, you must submit the following documents:

  • Affidavit of Financial Support
  • Supporting Financial Documentation
  • A copy of the biographical page in your passport
  • If you will be coming to Loyola from another US institution, you must also submit a Transfer Form (Please contact OISS for more information).
After I have been offered admission how soon can I expect to receive my Form I-20?

Once you have been offered admission and have submitted all required international student documentation you can expect your Form I-20 in 3-5 weeks. Someone from the Office of International Student Services will contact you regarding your Form I-20.

How do I apply for a student visa?

According to the U.S. Department of State’s website, you will need to complete the online Visa Application (Form DS-160) and schedule an appointment at the United States Embassy or Consulate in the country where you reside for a visa interview. You will need to pay a non-refundable application fee. For more information please visit the website.

What will I need for my visa appointment?

Requirements can vary depending on the United States embassy or consulate.  It is best to review the required documentation for your visa appointment directly from their website:

Can I study part-time?

In order to remain in status, exchange students must be enrolled full-time in at least 15 credit hours each semester.

Can international students work while studying at Loyola?

International students studying at Loyola on an F-1 student Visa are only permitted to work at Loyola University Maryland. Please contact OISS for further assistance and information.

What is the process for applying to an exchange program at Loyola?

Students at our partner institutions who are interested in the exchange program at Loyola University Maryland must first be nominated by their home institution's international office. Eligible applicants will need to sign into our office's exchange student application portal and submit the required documents by the deadline. Eligible students in sophomore (second year) standing will need to submit an application, original financial documents, TOEFL iBT or IELTS exam scores as proof of English proficiency, passport copy, and requested courses coinciding with the appropriate semester, along with additional forms and documents, which are explained in the portal. Students applying to the exchange program with Loyola will be considered if they have a current GPA of 3.0 or higher.

Is the New International Student Orientation mandatory?

Orientation is mandatory for all students.

Important topics discussed at New International Student Orientation are:

  • Immigration and Student Visa Information
  • Tools for Academic Success in the U.S.
  • Loyola’s Computer and Network Systems
  • Transportation around Loyola and Baltimore City
  • Evergreen Campus tours
  • Student Activities
  • Fitness and Aquatic Center (FAC)
  • Building a Community of Consent and Residence Life & Housing Policies and Expectations
  • On-Campus Resources (Counseling Center, Women's Center, and additional resources)
  • Student Administrative Services
  • Public Safety on Campus and in the Community
  • Student Health Services
Is health insurance required for international students? / How do I apply for Loyola’s health insurance?

Health Insurance is required for all students attending Loyola University Maryland.  Students are required to enroll in the Loyola-sponsored health insurance. More information about the health insurance plan will become available during the application process.

For more information regarding the Loyola Student Health Insurance Plan, please visit the Student Health Services website.

Contact Us

+1 410-617-5245
Office: Humanities 141

Office of International Student Services Hours:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. EST