Skip to main content

Undergraduate Frequently Asked Questions

What is the application deadline for international students?

Non-binding Early Action: November 15

Regular Decision: January 15

I have never studied in the United States before, what documentation will I need if I am accepted to Loyola?

International first-year applicants to Loyola University Maryland should refer to the Undergraduate Admission International Applicant’s page for specific information on what documentation is needed.

What is a Form I-20?

To study as an F-1 student in the United States, you need a Form I-20. The F-1 student visa allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited institution. The Form I-20 is also known as a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status”. This document provides supporting information on a student’s F-1 status. All F-1 students, who study in the United States, need a Form I-20.

How would I know if I need a Form I-20 to study in the United States?

If you are a non-immigrant wishing to study in the U.S. at Loyola University Maryland full time, you must apply for an F-1 student Visa.

What documents should I provide in order to be issued a Loyola Form I-20?

In order for OISS to issue a Form I-20, you MUST submit the following:

  • Original financial documentation.
  • Affidavit of Support Supporting financial documentation
  • A copy of the name page of your passport
  • If you will be coming to Loyola from another US institution, you must also submit a Transfer Form (please contact OISS about your specific case).
If I am currently in the United States on another visa, how do I apply for an F-1 student visa to study at Loyola?

If you are currently in the United States on another Visa, such as a B-2, you can either apply for a change of status while in the U.S. or travel home to apply for an F-1 student Visa. Each student’s situation is unique and would require advising from your international student advisor. Please call the OISS office at (410) 617-5245 to discuss your situation.

After I have been offered admission how soon can I expect to receive my Form I-20?

Once you have been offered admission and have submitted ALL required international student documentation you can expect your Form I-20 in 3-5 weeks. Someone from OISS will contact you regarding your Form I-20.

Can I study part-time?

In order to remain in status, Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each semester.

Is the TOEFL/IELTS required if I have graduated from an English speaking High School or College?

You do not need TOEFL or an IELTS Score Report if English is your native language.  If you attended and graduated from an English speaking High School or College you may or may not need to submit TOEFL or an IELTS Score Report, however that decision is made through the Office of Undergraduate Admission. Please contact Undergraduate Admission for further information.

Does Loyola offer provisional acceptance for international students?

Loyola University Maryland does not offer provisional acceptance for International students.

Can international students apply for financial aid and/or scholarships?

International students cannot apply for financial aid, but are eligible for merit based scholarships. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

How do I apply for a student visa?

According to the U.S. Department of State’s website, you will need to complete the online Visa Application (Form DS-160) and schedule an appointment at the United States Embassy or Consulate in the country where you reside for a visa interview. You will need to pay a non-refundable application fee. For more information please visit the website.

What will I need for my visa appointment?

Requirements can vary depending on the United States embassy or consulate.  It is best to review the required documentation for your visa appointment directly from the U.S. Department of State’s website:

Can international students work while studying at Loyola?

International students studying at Loyola on an F-1 student Visa are only permitted to work at Loyola University Maryland. Please contact OISS for further assistance and information.

Is the Immigration Clearance Session mandatory?

This session is mandatory for all students.

We will be discussing important topics such as:

  • Immigration and Student Visa Information
  • Tools for Academic Success in the U.S.
  • Any questions you may have 
Is health insurance required for international students? / How do I apply for Loyola’s health insurance?

Health Insurance is required for all students attending Loyola University Maryland.  You have the option of purchasing the Loyola provided health insurance or using your own, which must meet certain requirements.

For more information regarding student health insurance options, please visit the OISS Undergraduate Health Insurance page.

For more information regarding the Loyola Student Health Insurance Plan, please visit the Student Health and Education Services website.


Contact Us

+1 410-617-5245
Office: Humanities 141

Office of International Student Services Hours:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. EST