Skip to main content

Immigration and Visa Information

What does it mean to be a non-immigrant?

A non-immigrant is someone who seeks temporary entry to the United States for a specific purpose. Furthermore, all non-immigrants require a visa to be allowed to enter the United States to fulfill that purpose. Once they are in the United States, they have a non-immigrant status, which they must maintain by pursuing their intended purpose and following certain regulations.

When do you need an F-1 visa?

Every status reflects a different primary purpose. If your primary focus in the United States is to get a degree, then the most appropriate status is F-1 student status. Of course, there are some exceptions to coming to school as an F-1 (for example, H4, J-1), and if you believe you may fall into one of these other categories, we encourage you to contact our office, Office of International Student Services (OISS), with any questions you may have.

In order to obtain an F-1 visa, you must first receive an immigration document from our office, a United States Form I-20. In order to receive a Form I-20, you must meet all international applicant requirements.

You must submit all of the following documents in order to receive Form I-20: Affidavit of Support, supporting financial documentation, and a copy of the name page of your passport. If you will be coming to Loyola from another US institution, you must also submit a Transfer Form.

Contact Us

+1 410-617-5245
Office: Humanities 141

Office of International Student Services Hours:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. EST