Skip to main content


Maintaining Your F-1 Student Visa Status

  • Maintain a valid passport.
  • Attend Loyola University Maryland, the school you are authorized to attend.
  • Pursue a full course of study and make normal progress towards the completion of the program of study
    • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester.
    • Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester. 
  • Courses taken for "audit" or "incomplete" do not generate credits and cannot be used in calculating full-time status.
  • Only one online course/distance education can count towards full-time enrollment.
  • According to Immigration, a student has completed the degree when she/he has satisfied all academic program requirements. This means your Form I-20 must end on the final day of the semester you are enrolled in your last required courses, regardless of the semester of your graduation. You may not request to take additional courses in a new semester once your required coursework has been completed.
  • Keep your US Address and US phone number updated with OISS at all times. Any change in address must be submitted within 10 days.

Update Form I-20

To legally remain in the United States, you must also have a current Form I-20, which corresponds to your level, field, and period of study. Be aware of the information on your Form I-20 and keep it current. Contact OISS and schedule an appointment for further information.

Extend Form I-20

Follow procedures to extend your non-immigrant status if you will not complete your studies by the program end date on your Form I-20. Contact OISS and schedule an appointment for further information.

Employment Authorization

Refrain from working off-campus unless you have official authorization from OISS or USCIS. Students may work on-campus up to 20 hours total per week during the school year, and full-time on-campus during summers and vacation periods.  

Final Term

Follow the appropriate procedures and regulations as you approach your final term. Contact OISS and schedule an appointment for further information.

Medical Insurance

International students are required to have health insurance for the duration of their time in the United States. Loyola University Maryland’s health insurance is recommended. If you decide to use an alternate health insurance plan, it must meet the minimum coverage requirements. This coverage must be equivalent to Loyola’s Health Insurance plan. Please be sure to drop off an updated copy of your insurance when you renew your policy.

Social Security

You will need a Social Security Number (SSN) if you wish to work as nonimmigrant in the United States. Contact OISS and schedule an appointment for further information.

Failure to comply with these regulations may result in the loss of your F-1 non-immigrant status. This is referred to as being “out of status.” Please contact OISS if you think you are out of status.

Contact Us

+1 410-617-5245
Office: Humanities 141

Office of International Student Services Hours:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. EST