Loyola University Maryland

International Student Services

Immigration and Visa Information

Immigration Update for the Fall 2020 Semester

There has been much uncertainty through the summer with regard to international travel, visa services, travel restrictions, and regulatory requirements for F-1 students for the fall semester 2020.  The Office of International Student Services feels that most outstanding questions have now been addressed by the various agencies. 
Please review the FAQ’s below to understand the current issues and announcements regarding the enrollment of F-1 students at Loyola University Maryland for the fall semester 2020.  The FAQ’s include information from the guidance issued on July 24, 2020 to clarify how the March 9 guidance applies to continuing and new students for the fall semester.

Our office is continuing to monitor the impact of global, national, and university COVID-19 updates on our F-1 international students. Our top priority is protecting your health and well-being as we continue to support your academic progress. For more information, please see our FAQ Page for the Fall 2020 semester. 

What does it mean to be a non-immigrant?

A non-immigrant is someone who seeks temporary entry to the United States for a specific purpose. Furthermore, all non-immigrants require a visa to be allowed to enter the United States to fulfill that purpose. Once they are in the United States, they have a non-immigrant status, which they must maintain by pursuing their intended purpose and following certain regulations.

When do you need an F-1 visa?

Every status reflects a different primary purpose. If your primary focus in the United States is to get a degree, then the most appropriate status is F-1 student status. Of course, there are some exceptions to coming to school as an F-1 (for example, H4, J-1), and if you believe you may fall into one of these other categories, we encourage you to contact our office, Office of International Student Services (OISS), with any questions you may have.

In order to obtain an F-1 visa, you must first receive an immigration document from our office, a United States Form I-20. In order to receive a Form I-20, you must meet all international applicant requirements.

You MUST submit all of the following documents in order to receive Form I-20: Affidavit of Support, supporting financial documentation, and a copy of the name page of your passport. If you will be coming to Loyola from another US institution, you must also submit a Transfer Form.