For anyone with an undergraduate degree looking to step forward in their career while making a lasting impact on children with learning differences.
The M.Ed. in Special Education is a 40-credit masters program offered through a hybrid format. The program will prepare candidates to provide equitable education and effective services to children with mild to moderate disabilities. Students will graduate ready to take on leadership roles in the field of special education. Candidates in the program will receive unparalleled educational experiences that emphasize academic excellence, strong clinical preparation, equity and social justice.
Class Duration: 8 weeks
Format: Full or Part-time
Next Admission Term: Summer 2024
Time of Completion: 1 to 2 years
Explore the Curriculum
The Master’s in Special Education program focuses on both theoretical aspects of the field and practical application. The program offers students a strong foundation. Students will find themselves exploring management, methods, literacy, and research during their time with the program, culminating in a hands-on internship.
Graduates of the program will:
Master knowledge and skills:
- Master the skills, methods and knowledge appropriate to the discipline
- Synthesize knowledge using interdisciplinary approaches
- Acquire the tools to continue professional development and life-long learning
Manifest leadership and social responsibility in the workplace and community:
- Access, analyze and evaluate information effectively
- Disseminate and communicate information effectively
- Understand and value individual differences and have the skills for working effectively in a diverse and changing world
- Comprehend the ethical principles appropriate to the discipline, have the ability to identify ethical dilemmas, and understand the frameworks for selecting and defending a right course of action
- Contribute professionally and personally to the broader community
- Consider issues of justice in making decisions
- Bachelor's degree
- Test scores required for those with a GPA below 3.0
Upon completion of the certificate program, students will be able to:
- Teach students with disabilities in a K-12 school