Skip to main content

FAQs for Masters Program

How do I apply?
  1. Review the admission requirements.
  2. Access the online application.
  3. Create an account and then proceed to completing the application.

Once you submit the application you will be able to view your application document checklist. If you have questions please contact Graduate Admission at 410-617-5020.

How many applications do you receive and how many are accepted?

The Department receives and reviews approximately 150 applications for the CPC program. The program offers interviews to about 80 applicants, for a final class size of 30.

What is the class size?

The program looks to bring in a cohort of 30 CPC students each year.

What is the deadline for admission?

This program has a fall start only. January 15th is the priority deadline for early decision and scholarship consideration. Applications are reviewed after this date on a space available basis. It is recommended that applicants apply by the priority January 15 date.

What is the average GPA of accepted students?

The program requires a minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA. The average undergraduate GPA for those applicants who are offered admission is 3.52.

Are GRE scores required?

The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is NOT required for admission.

What is the most important part of the application?

The committee uses a holistic approach in reviewing applications.

I do not have a bachelor’s degree in psychology, can I still apply?

Yes, but you will need to take some prerequisites. Please see the required courses here and below. The courses can be complete online or in person and you must receive a B or better in the course.

Are there any prerequisites for the program?

All students must demonstrate competency in the content areas of general psychology. All applicants must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in psychology or another field and must have completed coursework in the following areas: introductory psychology, psychopathology, and research methods OR statistics in a social science. These courses do not have to be completed prior to applying, but would have to be completed prior to starting courses in the fall semester of entry into the program. These courses can be completed at any accredited institution including community colleges.

How many transfer credits will the program take? How can I find out which ones they will take?

Transfer credits are permitted in extenuating circumstances and with the approval of the program director. 

What is the cost of the program?

The current tuition rate can be found on the Tuition and Fees website.

Are there any scholarships available?

The program offers scholarships each year. All applicants are considered for funding and no separate application is required for the department’s scholarships. Students have the option to apply for graduate assistantships. For more information go to the Human Resources website.

Am I able to work while pursuing this program?

Students may work while pursuing this degree, though they will need to be sure their work schedule can shift around course times. There will be variability in available time from semester to semester.

Are any courses offered online?

For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, courses may be offered online. However, it is important to note that typically the CPC Program does not offer online courses, and we intend to return to a fully in-person training model as soon as safely possible.

What days/times do classes meet?

Right now classes are offered Monday through Thursday. Most classes meet in the afternoon through evening.

Where are classes offered?

All courses are offered at the Baltimore campus located at 4501 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland.

I want to work with a specific population, will I be able to specialize in the program?

Students can choose to work with a specific population in a specific area during the externship.

How does the externship work? Will I be placed and can I use my current work location as my site?

Loyola has relationships with a large network of placements in the Baltimore area. Students will be provided with a list of approved sites and will ultimately choose which sites they will apply to. There are guidelines in place regarding the externships and students will work with the Director of Masters Field Education to secure a placement. The short answer, is no, students cannot complete externship hours at their current place of employment but specific cases should be discussed with the director early in the process in order to be considered.

How do students complete the 600 hours of supervised field work?

Students will work at off-site placements. The hours are comprised of direct face-to-face hours, supervision and other professional tasks.

What can I do professionally once I graduate?

This program’s main focus is masters-level licensure (LCPC/Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor) in the state of Maryland.

Will I be a Licensed Clinical Professional Counseling after graduating?

Once students have completed the 60 credit program, they will need to apply to take both the national and state level licensing exams in order to obtain their LGPC (Licensed Graduate Professional Counselor) and complete the additional required clinical hours under supervision.

How do I obtain licensure?

See above.

If I am licensed in Maryland, will I be able to practice in other states?

Loyola’s program is aligned with many other states’ requirements. If you plan to move out of state after graduation it is important to learn that particular state’s licensure requirements early in your training so that you can tailor your experience, if necessary. Most licensure boards will require a student take the state law exam because legal requirements vary from state to state.

What are the requirements to pursue licensure after I graduate?

In the state of Maryland, 60 credits in specified course content areas and 3,000 supervised training hours (2,000+ occur post-graduation). Always check the Maryland licensure board (or other state) website to keep up to date with policy changes.

What specializations do the professors have?

The interests of the faculty in the Department range from working with children, romantic relationships, parenting, trauma, sleep, etc. To see specific areas of interest, please visit the faculty pages on the Department’s website.