Skip to main content

Chosen Name Policy

Loyola University Maryland has adopted a policy providing all members of the campus community the opportunity to use their chosen first name in records and communications across the campus that do not require the use of their legal name. As a best practice for supporting transgender and gender non-conforming members of the college communities, this policy is not limited to use by transgender and gender non-conforming students and employees; instead, it is available to anyone who uses a chosen name regularly other than their legal name. The University's full Chosen Name/Legal Name Policy for both students and employees is available at Human Resources' Policies webpage.

  • Incoming students may provide a chosen name on their applications.
  • Current undergraduate and graduate students may follow the instructions on the Office of the Registrar's Name/Address Change webpage to request a chosen name be updated by the Office of the Registrar.
  • Employees may complete the Name Change Form, available at Human Resources' Forms webpage, to have their chosen name updated by Human Resources.
  • Alumni will be referred to by their chosen name that was provided during their tenure as a student. They may reach out to the Office of Alumni Engagement for changes.

All chosen name requests are subject to approval per the policy.

The chosen name will be used across University systems where possible.

For questions, students may contact Maura Donohue in Records, employees may contact Human Resources, and alumni may contact Alumni Engagement. Undergraduate applicants may contact Undergraduate Admission and graduate applicants may contact Graduate Admission.

General FAQ

What is a chosen name?

A chosen name is the first name a Loyola community member wants to be known by that is different from their legal first name.

Who can provide a chosen name?

Applicants, students, employees, and alumni can provide a chosen first name.

Do I have to provide a chosen name?

No. You do not have to provide a chosen name.

Can I use any chosen first name that I wish?

Members of the campus community are generally free to determine the chosen first name they wish to be known by; however, inappropriate use of the chosen name policy (for example, misidentification, fraud, or misrepresentation) is prohibited. The chosen first name must comply with the University’s standards, polices, and regulations including its harassment and discrimination policies and procedures. The chosen name may be comprised of only alphabetical characters, a hyphen (-), an apostrophe (’), and a space.

What if I don’t provide a chosen name?

If you don’t provide a chosen name, the University will continue to use your legal first name.

Where will my chosen name be shown?

The chosen name will be used across University systems where possible, except where legal name is required.

 Students’ chosen names will also be included on class and grading rosters provided to faculty members, and on mail sent to their permanent address.

Will my chosen name be used on communication that goes to my permanent address?

Your chosen name will be accessible to all university departments, and the University cannot guarantee which name will be on any mail that goes to your permanent address. Each University department may have their own procedures for mail distribution. 

If you do not want your chosen name to be sent to your permanent address, do not submit your chosen name at this time

What name will be on my ID card?

New ID cards will not be automatically printed. If you want a new ID card printed with your chosen name, visit Maryland Hall 140 during business hours and bring your old ID card with you. Your old ID card will continue to work, even though the system will be updated with your chosen name.

Where must legal name still be used?

The legal name will generally be used for official records, and other instances where a legal name is required by law or university policy. The University is obligated to use the legal name for many official records and reports, including but not limited to: certain employment and payroll records, billing records, financial aid documents, official and unofficial transcripts, enrollment verifications, medical records, employee benefit records, expense reimbursements, travel and purchasing authorizations, enrollment reporting, conduct hearing results, external reporting, and federal immigration documents.

How do I update my legal name?
What name will be on my diploma?
When you apply for graduation, you have the opportunity to list your name as you would like it to appear on your diploma. You can learn more on the Office of the Registrar's Applying for Graduation page