The learning aims for Loyola's literacy/reading specialist program are as follows:
- Candidates have knowledge of the foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction.
- Candidates use a wide range of instructional practices, approaches, methods, and curriculum materials to support reading and writing instruction.
- Candidates use a variety of assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluate effective reading instruction.
- Candidates create a literate environment that fosters reading and writing by integrating foundational knowledge, use of instructional practices, approaches and methods, curriculum materials, and the appropriate uses of assessments.
- Candidates view professional development as a career-long effort and responsibility.