M.Ed. in Literacy - Literacy Teacher for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations
The M.Ed. in Literacy for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations is a 30-credit fully online synchronous program designed for experienced classroom teachers who wish to develop a strong foundation in teaching English to multilingual learners and the development of leadership skills. In this program you will be prepared to meet the needs of multilingual learners and assume leadership positions in your school. This program is designed for the certified teacher who wishes to be additionally certified by the Maryland State Department of Education as an ESOL Specialist based on and aligned to the TESOL International Association standards.
Class Duration: 8 weeks
Delivery: 100% online
Next Admission Term: Fall 2022
Time of Completion: 5 semesters
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3.0 GPA Cumulative
- Certified as a teacher
- Complete 30 credits of coursework
- Maintain 3.0 QPA average
- Take and pass PRAXIS II – ESOL #5362 with a passing score of 163 or higher
Candidates typically complete courses in the order listed below:
|Literacy Core (18 credits)
||Foundations of Literacy Curriculum and Instruction (3)
||Principles and Practices of Teaching Reading (3)
||Language, Literacy, and Culture (3)
||Principles and Practices of Teaching Writing (3)
||Disciplinary and Digital Literacies (3)
||Literacy Assessment I (3)
|Teaching CLD Learners Track (12 credits)
||Reading and Writing in the Linguistically Diverse Classroom (3)
||Second Language Development: Theory and Practice (3)
||Methods for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (3)
||Assessment in Bilingual and Second Language Education (3)
- We focus on literacy as a social justice issue and right for all people.
- We develop reflexive practitioners who serve as curricular experts, advocates, and literacy leaders in their communities.
- We offer rich field experiences supporting culturally and linguistically diverse students.
The program is designed to be completed in 5 semesters – taking two courses per semester. Students take one course each eight weeks consecutively on one night per week through four school year semesters (falls and springs) and one summer semester.
You have up to six years to complete the degree.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Obtain a M.Ed. in Literacy Education
- Receive the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) ESOL endorsement upon passing the ESOL English to Speakers of the Other Languages Praxis II #5362 exam.