In general, everything you discuss in the Counseling Center will be held in confidence within the Counseling Center. Your counselor will not even acknowledge to an outside person that you are in counseling. Counseling Center records are confidential according to Maryland state law and the American Psychological Association Code of Ethics. Because email is never fully confidential, please refrain from using e-mail to communicate with your counselor about personal matters. If you contact your counselor by email, you will implicitly give permission for your counselor to reply by e-mail if he or she chooses to do so. Never use email to communicate an urgent or crisis message.
Disclosure of the information you provide may be made by the Counseling Center if:
- You sign a written request to have information released;
- Your counselor believes that you present a danger to yourself or to others;
- Your counselor has reasonable suspicion of abuse or neglect of a child or a vulnerable adult;
- The life or safety of an identified or readily identifiable third person is endangered or threatened or;
- Otherwise required or permitted by law.
Please speak with a counselor to get more information.