School Counseling

School Counseling FAQs

What are the admission requirements?

Candidates can obtain a full listing of our admission requirements on the School of Education Admission Requirement website. Once you submit the application, you will be able to view your application document checklist. Please note for the letters of recommendation you must select the School Counseling reference form on the online application.

Do I need a specific undergraduate degree to apply?

The program accepts Bachelor’s degrees in any discipline from any accredited program.

Is an interview part of the admission process?

Yes. Once the applications are reviewed, the admission committee does offer an interview day by invitation only.

Do you offer financial aid?

Yes. Students may apply for federal financial aid by submitting a FAFSA form and Institutional form. In addition, the program offers a limited number of scholarships each year.

Do you offer graduate assistantships?

Students have the option to apply for graduate assistantships.

Do you offer graduate housing?

Loyola does not offer graduate housing, but there are plenty of housing options (apartments, rentals) available in Baltimore and the surrounding areas. Loyola’s Graduate Student Services website also lists information about housing and other information about living in the area. On campus housing is available to graduate students who work as a Graduate Residence Coordinator (GRC).

What is the difference between the M.Ed and the M.A.?

Both our Master of Arts and Master of Education programs lead to certification as a school counselor. Our MA program provides a deeper look at practitioner research where the student learns to study their own practice to gain deeper insight into how their work impacts K-12 students. Our M.Ed. program exposes students to various elective offerings related to Advanced Clinical Counseling, Mindfulness Approaches, Trauma, Leadership, College Counseling and more. There are no advantages to pursuing one track over the other. Candidates select tracks based upon their interests.

How many students are in each class? (student/Professor ratio)

Student to professor ratio is 25:1 Lecture courses, 12:1 Skills courses and 9:1 Clinical Experiences, Internship and Practicum.

Can I switch to the M.Ed after starting the MA and vice versa?

Yes. A student may switch programs prior to enrolling in elective courses or thesis seminar.

Does the program accept transfer credits?

Upon acceptance, new students may transfer up to 9 credits from a CACREP program, or equivalent, towards our 51 credit hour master’s program. 

To be considered to transfer into our program, course credits must be earned from a CACREP approved, or its equivalent, graduate program within the last five years. Your final grade in the course must be a B or better and courses must directly relate to those required for Loyola's school counseling program.

New students work with their academic advisors. Faculty advisors will determine if credits can be transferred into the program. Students must submit a syllabus and transcript for review to their academic advisor upon acceptance into the program. Academic advisors approve all transfer credits.

Clinical classes such as techniques, group counseling, practicum, and internship cannot be transferred into our program.

Can I take the program part-time and continue working?

Yes. Upon admission each student meets with an academic advisor to develop a plan of study. Students may complete the program part-time and take up to 5 years to complete.

Where are classes held and what time?

We offer hybrid and face to face courses. Classes are held at the Loyola Timonium Graduate Center. Classes are held in the evenings and weekends. Course times vary, but most begin at 4:30 and 7:05 pm during the fall and spring semesters.

What is CACREP and why is that something I should look for in the graduate program I attend?

CACREP stands for Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. This accrediting agency ensures that the highest professional standards for institutions preparing school counselors. As a CACREP approved program, we adhere to the training standards established by this accrediting body. Those who attend a program that has the CACREP approval can be assured that the training they receive adheres to high standards that will prepare them for role of a school counselor. It also assures your potential employer that you have been highly trained. To learn more about CACREP, visit

How do students complete the 600 hour internship requirement?

The 600 hour internship experience is completed in K-12 schools. Internship can be taken over two or one semester during the fall and/or spring semesters. At the beginning of their program, candidates should seek advising from the Coordinator of Clinical Experiences to plan their internship experience.

Do students choose or are they placed at a site for the internship? How are the sites determined?

Candidates apply for internship during the fall and/or spring semesters. Through collaboration between Loyola and the school districts or non-publics, candidates are placed in schools at the start of the semester in which they applied for internship. Candidates identify a school district and education level when they apply for the experience.

Can I work while completing the internship?

During internship candidates work at a school either 2.5 days a week (300 hour semester) or 5 days a week (600 hour semester). Please keep in mind that candidates must be available to work in schools the number of days identified for each hour experience. Due to the demands of working in a school during the week days, full-time employment is not possible.