Curriculum: A Three Part Approach
Leadership Skill Building
At monthly class sessions, participants sharpen critical skills necessary for effective leadership in their organization and community. Through experienced and professional facilitators, participants will learn and practice the characteristics of a results-oriented leader. Skills learned include:
- Leading teams to excellence
- Building collaborative relationships and networks
- Improving critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Learning effective oral communication and active listening
- Project management
- Creating powerful presentations
- Learning personal strengths and weaknesses
Professional Leadership Coaching
Personal coaching is a tool utilized by some of the most savvy and experienced leaders in business and management today. A professional coach is objective, confidential, and can help a leader unlock the answers within, enabling them to make appropriate decisions and strengthen leadership skills. Participants will experience:
- One-on-one coaching sessions at least once per month
- An objective sounding board
- Reflections on business and personal challenges
Community Service Projects
A highlight of this program is the involvement with the community. Participants will work in small teams on a short-term community service project that provides them with the opportunity to put their leadership skills into practice. Throughout the project they will build relationships around a goal-oriented assignment, learning from peers and acquiring first-hand experience at making a difference in the local community.
This multi-faceted approach enables participants to build valuable skills and professional contacts, and enhance their ability to become effective leaders in business and the wider community. Many Leadership Essentials graduates stay involved with the community organizations they got to know through their community service projects. Others form connections through their classmates and offer their leadership skills and resources to local non-profits.
Leadership Essentials alumni become well connected members of their communities. Through Loyola's collaborative relationships, graduates of the Leadership Essentials programs enjoy the following benefits:
- Graduates of Leadership Essentials - Howard County are invited to become members of Leadership Howard County.
- Graduates of Leadership Essentials - Baltimore County are introduced to Baltimore County Chamber of Commerce board members and can apply for membership.