FAQs about the Combined B.A./B.S. - MAT

A program leading to teacher certification.


Who may participate in the Combined B.A./B.S. - MAT Program?

Loyola undergraduate students who wish to be certified may participate in a five-year program resulting in a bachelor's degree within their area of major and Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).

What are the admission requirements?

  • 3.0 GPA (some exceptions may be made)
  • Completed online application
  • Official transcripts (the Office of Graduate Admission will request transcripts from the Records office)
  • Test scores are required for applicants with an overall GPA below a 3.0. One of the following tests- Praxis Core, SAT, GRE or ACT are required if the overall GPA for the most recent degree is below a 3.0. Qualifying scores on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Reading, Writing, and Math tests or meet the SAT® Reasoning Test, ACT® test orGRE® General Test requirements. If you wish to take all three computer-delivered Core Academic Skills for Educators exams (5712, 5722, 5732) at the same time, select Core Academic Skills for Educators Combined Test (5751) when registering. Loyola's institution code is RA5370. Qualifying scores on the Praxis I (taken prior to Sept. 1, 2014), SAT, ACT, or GRE tests may be substituted for the Praxis Core exam requirement for MAT applicant as follows:
    • Praxis I: PPST/CPPST (Reading, Writing, and Math) Prior to September 1, 2014  with a composite score of 527**
    • SAT taken after 2005, math and critical reading composite score of 1100**
    • SAT taken between 4/95 and 2005, math and verbal composite score of 1100**
    • SAT taken prior to 4/95, math and verbal composite score of 1000*
      (For SAT results, call College Board 866-756-7346 to request an archive copy. Request that the copy is sent to your home address and then send a copy to Office of Graduate Admission.)
    • ACT composite score of 24
    • GRE taken prior to September 1, 2011, verbal and quantitative composite score of 1,000**
    • GRE taken after September 1, 2011, verbal and quantitative composite score of 297**
      **Composite scores must come from exams taken in the same calendar year.
  • An undergraduate major in the content area in which the student is seeking certification is required. Social studies certification includes majors in economics, geography, history, philosophy, political science, psychology and sociology

For more information on Praxis exams, visit the: Educational Testing Service website

Follow the Maryland testing requirements. (Request for test results sent to Loyola CEEB Code: RA5370)

When should I apply?

Apply before February 15th of your junior year of undergraduate study.

How do I apply?

Online Application or download application: grad.loyola.edu/apply

On the online graduate application, select that you are a Loyola student and then select the 5th year program. Your application fee will be waived by Graduate Admission.

For application questions: Please contact Mechelle Palmer at 410-617-7741 or mjpalmer@loyola.edu.

Loyola University Maryland School of Education's Master of Arts in Teaching program is fully approved by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) to offer undergraduate and graduate programs. This approval covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator programs.

The Program

What content areas does Loyola University Maryland offer for Teacher Certification?*

  • Elementary Education (grades 1-6): 39 credits
  • Secondary Education (grades 7-12): biology, chemistry, earth/space science,  English, mathematics, physics, or social studies – 34 credits
  • Secondary Education (grades PreK-12): art, French, music vocal/instrumental, or Spanish - 34 credits

Two 20-hour field experiences are also required for all certification areas.

What courses are taken during senior year?

The courses during senior year will be located on the Baltimore campus or online. The remainder of the graduate courses will be offered online.

What happens if I do not have three undergraduate elective courses to substitute for graduate courses?

There is the possibility that you can take a sixth course during the semester. Also, you may be able to take a graduate course the summer before your senior year (not covered under undergraduate tuition). Contact the teacher education program for guidance educationdean1@loyola.edu

When will I begin the remainder of the graduate courses?

You will take MAT courses on a full-time basis beginning the summer following graduation.

Where are the classes offered?

Two of the classes during senior year will take place on the Baltimore campus. The third class during senior year may occur in Timonium or Columbia. The remainder of the graduate courses will be offered in either Timonium or Columbia Graduate Centers.

Will I graduate with my Bachelor's degree?

Yes, you will graduate at the end of your senior year.

When will I graduate with my MAT and complete the approved teacher certification program?

You will graduate with a Master of Arts in Teaching in May of the following year.

Field Experience

What are the required field experiences for this program?

Loyola’s program includes two 20- hour field experiences designed to provide candidates with experience in school settings prior to internship. These experiences occur during school hours over two semesters.

How many days per week are required for field experience?

Internship I consists of student teaching one day or two mornings a week for a semester (fall semester of graduate school).

Internship II consists of student teaching for five days a week for a semester plus a seminar (spring semester of graduate school).

Financial Information

What is the cost for the program?

The three graduate courses taken during senior year (in place of electives) are included in the undergraduate tuition. To view the current graduate tuition, please visit our financial aid and tuition website . Your graduate tuition will be based on the tuition during the summer semester you begin your remaining graduate courses. This tuition is all inclusive with the exception of a $25 registration fee per semester, $200 Internship II placement fee and a $150 MAT graduation fee.

Is there any financial aid assistance available?

Yes. Loyola University Maryland works with numerous financial aid programs to assist students with their educational expenses. To learn more about scholarships, loans, and other financing options, please contact office of graduate financial aid at 410-617-5205 or visit our financial aid site.

For application questions: Please contact Mechelle Palmer at mjpalmer@loyola.edu or 410-617-7741.

More MAT Program Information

Visit the MAT webpages.

Program Pathways

Practical, Real-World Application

Students complete clinical experiences in Professional Development and partnership schools in the greater Baltimore area. Students who are already teaching in their certification area may have the option to complete their field experiences and/or internship in their schools.

Hear from Greyhounds
Loyola’s MAT program was exactly what I was looking for— a great hands on experience with supportive and encouraging mentors. The internship experience has been amazing and I have learned so much from all of my professors and my mentor teachers, so I feel that Loyola has prepared me to be the kind of educator that I strive to be.
Nicole Levine, '22
The MAT program's clinical and academic experiences prepared me to be a teacher who models compassion, competence, creativity, preparation, reflection, and responsiveness to diverse learners. In just one year, I have grown tremendously and am proud to be a part of this community of highly qualified teachers.
Summer Pearson, ‘22
As an educator, the MAT program gave me the necessary tools to promote and cultivate, diversity, equity, and inclusion in my classroom. Invaluable internship experiences alongside relevant curriculum ensured that my transition from scholar to educator be a seamless and successful one.
Martina Ramirez, '18
Ready to learn more?

Explore the following links or contact us at mat@loyola.edu or 410-617-5095. For admission-related questions, contact Mechelle Palmer at mjpalmer@loyola.edu.