Teacher Preparation Program (Clinical Experience)
The teacher education department of Loyola University Maryland envisions an extensive learning community grounded in the values of our Jesuit mission, informed by a learner-centered model of instruction, and seeking to cultivate educational leaders with high levels of competence, a social justice informed conscience, and compassion for diverse learners.
Loyola provides a high-quality teacher preparation program grounded in content knowledge, focused on pedagogy, and centered on clinical practice for all students in our elementary education and secondary education programs. Loyola strongly believes that reflective practice is essential to candidates’ growth and development.
We offer a rich integration of coursework, clinical experience, and individualized attention.
Teacher Preparation Program Includes:
- Teaching in one of our Baltimore-area P-12 partner schools
- Applying theory to practice
- Observing teachers and students in a variety of placements
- Planning instruction for academically diverse learners
- Co-teaching, microteaching, and lead teaching
- Demonstrating effective strategies for working with culturally and linguistically diverse learners
- Reflecting on teaching and learning
- Remaining connected to Loyola through a variety of induction programs and events
An internship at one of Loyola's professional development schools is part of the student's clinical experience. Interns are able to receive hands-on experience as a teacher in a Baltimore-area school.