Skip to main content

Veterans Information

Getting Started

Step 1: Application for Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans must apply and be approved for education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Applications are designed to obtain data necessary to determine eligibility for educational assistance benefits for particular educational objectives. The application and required forms vary according to the type of benefits and to the circumstances. For more information, visit the Veterans Benefits Administration website, or contact the Education Call Center at 888-442-4551. 

Step 2: Certificate of Eligibility

After the DVA has received the application and all necessary supporting documents, the claim will be processed and a file (claim) number established (usually the veteran's social security number). Veterans and eligible dependents will receive notification of this action in the form of a Certificate of Eligibility. The certificate will indicate the type of benefit, the number of months of benefits remaining, and the date benefits exhaust. 

To inquire into the status of your benefits, log into eBenefits.  (Note: The DVA regional office will only take an inquiry if it has been four to six weeks since your paperwork was sent. When doing so, please be sure to have the following information available: semester enrollment dates, number of credit being taken, and your address.)

Step 3: Transfer Credits

The Academic Advising and Support Center (AASC) and department chairs are responsible for reviewing undergraduate transfer credits. Information on student transfer requirements is located on the AASC website.

Contact AASC

Phone Number: (410) 617-5050

Fax Number: (410) 617-2161


Office: Maryland Hall Room 138

Incoming graduate students who would like prior credit reviewed for transfer consideration will have an opportunity to do so after they have been admitted and have accepted Loyola University Maryland's offer of admission, usually within their first semester. Graduate level transfer credit is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Step 4: Enrollment Certification

Once entitlement is established by the DVA, individuals utilizing veterans education benefits must submit a Veteran Education Benefits Registration form to Loyola University Maryland's School Certifying Official. This form, which is available to students via their student account in Self-Service, needs to be completed for each semester that you wish to receive benefits. Loyola University Maryland's School Certifying Official will then prepare enrollment certification based on your enrollment status and submit it to the DVA for processing and payment. Processing takes anywhere from nine days to ten weeks before payment authorization is made.

Note: Veterans approved for Chapter 30 Education Benefits (Montgomery G.I. Bill®) must verify their attendance with the DVA at the end of each month via the W.A.V.E. website.  Payment of Chapter 30 benefits will not be made until students submit verification of their enrollment. 

Students using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®) education benefits are required to verify their enrollment monthly via text message, email verification or phone call. If you experience any difficulty with verifying your enrollment, call the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-442-4551. 

Maintaining Your Benefits

Enrollment Status

All students using their educational benefits from the DVA are required by law to keep the University informed of the following:

  • Periods of enrollment
  • Audits and withdrawals
  • Change of degree programs 
  • Catalog change
  • Address change
  • Change in dependents (VA Form 22-686c required)
  • Requests for course substitutions (approval must be obtained prior to enrolling in course)


Students are advised to report any change in credit hours to Loyola University Maryland's School Certifying Official as soon as possible, as delays in reporting a change in status may impede the processing of your benefits.   

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students receiving DVA education benefits are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to published standards established and enforced by the University. Loyola University Maryland's Standards of Progress have been approved by the State Approving Agency (SAA) and accepted by the DVA.

U.S. Code, Title 38, Sections 1674 and 1724, requires that education assistance benefits to Veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward completion of their training objective. Accordingly, Loyola University Maryland will discontinue certification of enrollment and will inform the DVA of a termination (due to unsatisfactory academic progress) for undergraduate students who remain on academic probation for more than two consecutive semesters and for graduate students who are subject to dismissal. This may result in the student being over paid. Students have a right to appeal terminations. The DVA determines whether or not payment will be terminated and the conditions for reinstatement.

Principles of Excellence

Loyola University Maryland participates in the Principles of Excellence program. Information on the program can be found on the VA website.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Loyola University Maryland is a 100% participant in the VA's Yellow Ribbon Program. Any student using the G.I. Bill® who is deemed eligible for Yellow Ribbon by the VA can participate, regardless of program or level of study. Loyola University Maryland's School Certifying Official can confirm your participation after review of your Certificate of Eligibility.

Other Helpful Information

Contact Loyola University Maryland's School Certifying Official

DVA Work-Study Program

Veterans and Reservists enrolled 3/4 time or more and training under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606 and Section 903 may be eligible for employment on a part-time basis. (Note: Loyola does not participate in VEAP, Chapter 32.) The DVA will pay an allowance equal to the prevailing federal or state minimum wage, whichever is higher. The Veterans Services Office has a limited number of positions that are periodically available. For more information, visit the VBA website.

Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

Students training in high demand STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields may be eligible for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship. Recipients will receive up to nine months of additional Post-9/11 GI Bill® entitlement or a maximum of $30,000. Eligible Post-9/11 GI Bill® students must have either exhausted their entitlement or will exhaust their entitlement within 180 days.

Additional information can be found on the Rogers STEM Scholarship website, or by contacting the VA’s Education Call Center by phone at 1-888-442-4551. The scholarship application is available here

Education Programs 

Veterans Affairs administers several education programs. Each program provides different benefits for different individuals. Research the various benefit programs and select the one that works best for you. For additional information contact a VA education representative at 1-888-GIBILL-1 or visit VA education and training benefits.

Loyola University Maryland participates in the following VA education benefit programs

Financial Aid

Undergraduate financial assistance programs include loans, grants, scholarships, and student employment available from federal and state governments as well as Loyola. Federal loans must be repaid; however, the interest rate is usually low and the repayment period is extended. Grants, scholarships, and income earned through student employment do not have to be repaid. Most of these programs are based on financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The type of VA and DOD education benefit for which a student is eligible determines if it is treated as estimated financial assistance when applying for federal need-based aid. Students who qualify for the 100% maximum tuition benefit through Yellow Ribbon and the Loyola and DVA matching grants will forfeit Loyola funded merit, non-need-based and need-based grants previously awarded or for which they would otherwise be considered. Students receiving partial benefits may also experience a change in institutionally funded awards.

You must maintain satisfactory academic progress and complete all your classes. Classes for which benefits will be paid for by the VA must fulfill requirements for graduation in your stated program. Any subsequent programs must be requested and approved by the VA. Summer credits are counted a little differently, so please check with Audrey Kennedy, Loyola's primary School Certifying Official (410) 617-2347 or for more information.

Repeating Classes

Benefits will not be paid for repeating courses in which a passing grade is received. For undergraduate students, a passing grade is D (1.000) or better. For graduate students, a passing grade is C (2.000) or better. The only exception (at this time) is when University policy requires that the student earn a higher grade in a specific course. The academic program of a student on warning or probation may be restricted by the Dean. If enrollment restrictions include repeating courses for which the student initially received a passing grade, the DVA will not reimburse the student for the course. There is, otherwise, no limit on the number of times an eligible person may repeat a course for which a failing (or otherwise unacceptable) grade is received, provided the University's overall Satisfactory Progress Standards are met.

Study Abroad  and VA Education Benefits

Loyola University Maryland students who receive Veteran education benefits are only allowed to apply them to Loyola faculty-led programs (if all courses are taught by Loyola faculty) OR to direct enroll at certain pre-approved overseas institutions. Students are encouraged to contact the School Certifying Official and the Office of International Programs to discuss their options.

Tutorial Assistance

Tutorial assistance may be paid to eligible students enrolled at least half-time and receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606. (Note: Loyola does not participate in VEAP, Chapter 32.) Tutorial assistance aids the student in defraying tutorial expenses and will be paid to reimburse reasonable charges by a tutor. To qualify, students must have a weakness in a subject for which the professor deems tutoring necessary. The maximum benefit is $1,200. A charge to entitlement will be made for assistance received in excess of $600 by Chapters 30 and 1606. There is no entitlement charge under Chapters 33 or 35.   

Veterans Crisis Line

This confidential, toll-free, 24-hour-a-day hotline serves Veterans and their loved ones year-round. Reach qualified, caring responders by phone at 800-273-8255 via online chat on their website, or by text message at 838255.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US. government Website at