Skip to main content

Registration FAQs

What details are important when preparing my schedule?

  1. Closed Courses: Students must complete an override form and submit it to the Academic Advising and Support Center (MH 138) in person or via email ( AASC works with the department chairs for the override process. Students should only see the department chair in person for override permission during the first week of classes.

  2. Prerequisite Requirements: You can only register for courses for which you have met the required prerequisites. Review your Degree Audit (on Loyola Self-Service, Student Planning, Go To My Progress) or check your unofficial transcript on Loyola Self-Service to make sure that courses taken away over the summer or through study abroad programs are recorded on your record before registration. Prerequisite or registration overrides must be signed by the department chair and submitted with a Registration Request Form or Change of Registration Form. Students cannot register themselves electronically for specialized studies, prerequisite overrides, repeats, or closed courses. Overrides are not accepted from advisors or instructors.

  3. Major/Minor/Specialization Information: If your correct major/minor/specialization information is not on file in the Office of the Registrar before your assigned registration day, you cannot be registered for courses restricted by major/minor/specialization. If necessary, submit a Change of Major (or Minor) Form to meet major (or minor) restrictions. Refer to your Degree Audit (on Loyola Self-Service, Student Planning, Go To My Progress) for academic program information.

  4. Corequisite Requirement: Be sure to register for corequisite courses as listed in Search for Sections or Course Listings (click course title hyperlink).

  5. Time conflicts CANNOT be processed.

  6. Class Year: The correct class year must be on file in the Office of the Registrar before registration. Class year may affect priority in course selection. Class year is listed on the Degree Audit on Loyola Self-Service, Student Planning, Go To My Progress). Students who choose to accelerate their program will not be moved up one year.

  7. Alternate Course Selection: When preparing your schedule, select alternate courses/sections in case your original requests are closed.

  8. Degree Audit: Access this report when registering. It is helpful if you need to select alternate courses. (Available on Loyola Self-Service, Student Planning, Go To My Progress)

  9. Exceptions to academic policies must have the approval of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies (MH 146).

What are the necessary forms/signatures required for registration?

Get all the necessary forms and signature(s) before your assigned registration date and time. Most student forms are located here: You cannot register for courses if you do not have the required materials or permissions.

  1. Registration Request Form: Students may fill out this form; however, advisors give their permission electronically. If an advisor does not give electronic permission, then the student must submit a signed registration form to the Academic Advising and Support Center (MH 138).

  2. Block Schedule: Use the block schedule for mapping course selections to make certain that no time conflicts have been scheduled.

  3. Repeat/Replacement Form: A completed form signed by your advisor must accompany your Registration Request Form if you are registering for a course(s) as a repeat or replacement. This form is available at the Academic Advising and Support Center (MH 138) and is submitted there. Repeats cannot be processed via Loyola Self-Service web registration.

  4. Specialized Study Form: This form is used for independent study, internship, and private study courses. A completed form, including all required signatures, must be submitted at the time of registration. Requests for these courses are accepted during registration but are processed within 72 hours. Students must submit the signed form to the Academic Advising and Support Center (MH 138) on their registration day or to the Office of the Registrar prior to the end of the registration period. Specialized studies cannot be processed via Self-Service web registration.

Where can I get open course information and schedule changes?

  1. Course information is accessed via Loyola Self-Service, Course Catalog. Be sure to check this information frequently on your assigned registration day. Courses/sections close as students register.

  2. Advisors have access to the Course Catalog, your Degree Audit, and a Permit to Register screen for supplying electronic permission via Loyola Self-Service, Advising.