Educational Technology Learning Aims
The learning aims for Loyola's educational technology program are as follows:
Technology Operations and Concepts
Educational technology facilitators demonstrate an in-depth understanding of technology operations and concepts. Educational technology facilitators:
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and understanding of concepts related to technology (as described in the ISTE National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers).
- Demonstrate continual growth in technology knowledge and skills to stay abreast of current and emerging technologies.
Planning and Designing Learning Environments and Experiences
Educational technology facilitators plan, design, and model effective learning environments and multiple experiences supported by technology. Educational technology facilitators:
- Design developmentally appropriate learning opportunities that apply technology-enhanced instructional strategies to support the diverse needs of learners.
- Apply current research on teaching and learning with technology when planning learning environments and experiences.
- Identify and locate technology resources and evaluate them for accuracy and suitability.
- Plan for the management of technology resources within the context of learning activities.
- Plan strategies to manage student learning in a technology-enhanced environment.
- Identify and apply instructional design principles associated with the development of technology resources.
Teaching, Learning, and the Curriculum
Educational technology facilitators apply and implement curriculum plans that include methods and strategies for utilizing technology to maximize student learning. Educational technology facilitators:
- Facilitate technology-enhanced experiences that address content standards and student technology standards.
- Use technology to support learner-centered strategies that address the diverse needs of students.
- Apply technology to demonstrate students' higher order skills and creativity.
- Manage student-learning activities in a technology-enhanced environment.
- Use current research and district/region/state/national content and technology standards to build lessons and units of instruction.
Assessment and Evaluation
Educational Technology facilitators apply technology to facilitate a variety of effective assessment and evaluation strategies. Educational technology facilitators:
- Apply technology in assessing student learning of subject matter using a variety of assessment techniques.
- Use technology resources to collect and analyze data, interpret results, and communicate findings to improve instructional practice and maximize student learning.
- Apply multiple methods of evaluation to determine students' appropriate use of technology resources for learning, communication, and productivity.
Productivity and Professional Practice
Educational technology facilitators apply technology to enhance and improve personal productivity and professional practice. Educational technology facilitators:
- Use technology resources to engage in ongoing professional development and lifelong learning.
- Continually evaluate and reflect on professional practice to make informed decisions regarding the use of technology in support of student learning.
- Apply technology to increase productivity.
- Use technology to communicate and collaborate with peers, parents, and the larger community in order to nurture student learning.
Social, Ethical, Legal, and Human Issues
Educational technology facilitators understand the social, ethical, legal, and human issues surrounding the use of technology in P-12 schools and assist teachers in applying that understanding in their practice. Educational technology facilitators:
- Model and teach legal and ethical practice related to technology use.
- Apply technology resources to enable and empower learners with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, and abilities.
- Identify and use technology resources that affirm diversity.
- Promote safe and healthy use of technology resources.
- Facilitate equitable access to technology resources for all students.
Procedures, Policies, Planning and Budgeting for Technology Environments
Educational technology facilitators promote the development and implementation of technology infrastructure, procedures, policies, plans, and budgets for P-12 schools. Educational technology facilitators:
- Use the school technology facilities and resources to implement classroom instruction.
- Follow procedures and guidelines used in planning and purchasing technology resources.
- Participate in professional development opportunities related to management of school facilities, technology resources, and purchases.
Leadership and Vision
Educational technology facilitators will contribute to the shared vision for campus integration of technology and foster an environment and culture conducive to the realization of the vision. Educational technology facilitators:
- Utilize school technology facilities and resources to implement classroom instruction.
- Apply strategies for and knowledge of issues related to managing the change process in schools.
- Apply effective group process skills.
- Lead in the development and evaluation of district technology planning and implementation.
- Engage in supervised field-based experiences with accomplished technology facilitators and/or directors.