Skip to main content

FAQs about the Combined B.A./B.S. - MAT


Who may participate in the Combined B.A./B.S. - MAT Program?

Loyola undergraduate students who wish to be licensed may participate in a five-year program resulting in a bachelor's degree within their area of major and Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).

What are the admission requirements?
  • 3.0 GPA (some exceptions may be made)
  • Completed online application
  • Official transcripts (the Office of Graduate Admission will request transcripts from the Records office)
  • An undergraduate major in the content area in which the student is seeking licensure is required. Social studies licensure includes majors in economics, geography, history, philosophy, political science, psychology and sociology
When should I apply?

Apply before March 15th of your junior year of undergraduate study.

How do I apply?

Online Application or download application:

On the online graduate application, select that you are a Loyola student and then select the 5th year program. Your application fee will be waived by Graduate Admission.

For application questions: Please contact Mechelle Palmer at 410-617-7741 or

Loyola University Maryland School of Education's Master of Arts in Teaching program is fully approved by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) to offer undergraduate and graduate programs. This approval covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator programs.

The Program

What content areas does Loyola University Maryland offer for Teacher Licensure?*
  • Elementary Education (grades 1-6): 39 credits
  • Secondary Education (grades 7-12): biology, chemistry, earth/space science,  English, mathematics, physics, or social studies – 34 credits
  • Secondary Education (grades PreK-12): art, French, music vocal/instrumental, or Spanish - 34 credits

Two 20-hour field experiences are also required for all licensure areas.

What courses are taken during senior year?

The courses during senior year will be located on the Baltimore campus or online. The remainder of the graduate courses will be offered online.

What happens if I do not have three undergraduate elective courses to substitute for graduate courses?

There is the possibility that you can take a sixth course during the semester. Also, you may be able to take a graduate course the summer before your senior year (not covered under undergraduate tuition). Contact the teacher education program for guidance

When will I begin the remainder of the graduate courses?

You will take MAT courses on a full-time basis beginning the summer following graduation.

Where are the classes offered?

Two of the classes during senior year will take place on the Baltimore campus. The third class during senior year may occur in Timonium or Columbia. The remainder of the graduate courses will be offered in either Timonium or Columbia Graduate Centers.

Will I graduate with my Bachelor's degree?

Yes, you will graduate at the end of your senior year.

When will I graduate with my MAT and complete the approved teacher licensure program?

You will graduate with a Master of Arts in Teaching in May of the following year.

Field Experience

What are the required field experiences for this program?
Loyola’s program includes two 20- hour field experiences designed to provide candidates with experience in school settings prior to internship. These experiences occur during school hours over two semesters.
How many days per week are required for field experience?

Internship I consists of student teaching one day or two mornings a week for a semester (fall semester of graduate school).

Internship II consists of student teaching for five days a week for a semester plus a seminar (spring semester of graduate school).

Financial Information

What is the cost for the program?

The three graduate courses taken during senior year (in place of electives) are included in the undergraduate tuition. To view the current graduate tuition, please visit our financial aid and tuition website . Your graduate tuition will be based on the tuition during the summer semester you begin your remaining graduate courses. This tuition is all inclusive with the exception of a $25 registration fee per semester, $200 Internship II placement fee and a $150 MAT graduation fee.

Is there any financial aid assistance available?

Yes. Loyola University Maryland works with numerous financial aid programs to assist students with their educational expenses. To learn more about scholarships, loans, and other financing options, please contact office of graduate financial aid at 410-617-5205 or visit our financial aid site.

For application questions: Please contact Mechelle Palmer at or 410-617-7741.

More MAT Program Information

Visit the MAT webpages.

Practical, Real-World Application

Students complete clinical experiences in Professional Development and partnership schools in the greater Baltimore area. Students who are already teaching in their licensure area may have the option to complete their field experiences and/or internship in their schools.


Loyola’s MAT program was exactly what I was looking for— a great hands on experience with supportive and encouraging mentors. The internship experience has been amazing and I have learned so much from all of my professors and my mentor teachers, so I feel that Loyola has prepared me to be the kind of educator that I strive to be.
The MAT program's clinical and academic experiences prepared me to be a teacher who models compassion, competence, creativity, preparation, reflection, and responsiveness to diverse learners. In just one year, I have grown tremendously and am proud to be a part of this community of highly qualified teachers.
As an educator, the MAT program gave me the necessary tools to promote and cultivate, diversity, equity, and inclusion in my classroom. Invaluable internship experiences alongside relevant curriculum ensured that my transition from scholar to educator be a seamless and successful one.
Ready to learn more?

Explore the following links or contact us at or 410-617-5095. For admission-related questions, contact Mechelle Palmer at