Fast-Track MAT Admission for Loyola Seniors
Are you a Loyola senior? Do you have a passion for education or a love of teaching others about your field of study? Can you picture yourself leading a classroom?
It’s not too late to become a teacher. Earn your Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and become a certified teacher in just one additional year at Loyola!
Loyola seniors now have the option to apply to the Full-Time, One-Year or Part-Time MAT program through Fast-Track admission. To apply, please review the steps below.
You must have a minimum 3.0 GPA with a major in one of the following subject areas:
The elementary education program requires an undergraduate major in one of the four content areas (mathematics, science, English, or social studies) and/or a well-rounded liberal arts background including courses in science, mathematics, English, and social studies.
- English – 9 credits which includes on English Literature course
- Math – 9 credits which includes one statistics course
- Social Studies –9 credits which includes one U.S. history course
- Science – 10 credits which includes one science with a lab course
An undergraduate major (or 27-30 sufficient credits) in the certification area (art, biology, chemistry, earth/space science, French, vocal or instrumental music, physics, English, Spanish, mathematics or social studies) is required.
MAT Secondary Certification Areas (Grades 7-12)
- Earth/Space Science
- Social Studies (at least 15 credits must be history)
- Political Science
MAT Secondary Certification Areas (Grades PK-12)
- Music (vocal or instrumental)
*Please note a transcript analysis may be required to determine any pre-requisite coursework needed—those interested in a preliminary transcript may email their unofficial Loyola transcript to email@example.com.
- Submit your online application for Full-Time, One-Year or Part-Time MAT by May 1.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify them you are applying to the Fast-Track option of the Full-Time, One-Year or Part-Time MAT.
- If your overall GPA to date is less than a 3.0 you must include a copy of one of the following qualifying SAT, ACT, GRE, or Praxis CORE scores.
- If you do not have qualifying scores at this time, you may be provisionally admitted should you meet admission requirements. Provisional admits must submit qualifying scores* by May 15. If your overall GPA is a 3.0 or higher, NO Test scores are required.
*For more information about qualifying scores, please visit the program requirements page.
Benefits of the Fast-Track Option
Once these steps are completed, the Office of Graduate Admission will:
- Waive your $60 application fee
- Graduate Admission automatically pull your Loyola transcript
- Waive your resume, essay, and letter of recommendation